Why AVS Machines Matter

Discuss and link to the many toys, tools and gadgets out there that you might want to try and want an opinion on from everyone, or something you already use and want to tell everyone about it!

Why AVS Machines Matter

Postby neuroasis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello everyone,
As you probably know I am affiliated with the company MIndPlace as a developer and support person. I want to state that upfront so you can gauge what I say with full knowledge. What I am saying however does not pertain to any particular mind machine or product.

The areas of consciousness that are being explored in this forum are quite subjective, and may even be called 'fringe' phenomena. That is not my label or perception but more so what is categorized amongst the larger scope of academia and mainstream science. Now, the true scientist's body of knowledge is in a constant state of flux. It is always subject to change when new findings and information are found.

Maybe many here may have opted to operate outside of any scientific framework with its rigor and requirements. I understand this and have oftentimes found it extremely useful to suspend all skepticism and let my personal experiences (and reports of experiences of others) define the bounds of what I consider possible regardless of what is currently considered valid. Also, the environment of a laboratory is an extremely artificial one, especially as pertains to studying and nurturing non pharmaceutically-induced states of consciousness. A tool that somewhat imposes a 'portable environment' is quite helpful.

However, for those who have an inclination to further the discoveries of science and work toward a framework of repeatable experiment, then an AVS mind machine is an invaluable tool for exploring altered states of consciousness within a methodology. The conceptual framework upon which AVS or Audio Visual Stimulation relies is that altered states are accompanied by measurable brainwave activity within selective ranges. Now, the brain being a very dynamic and malleable organ and also one who's functioning is constantly being redefined, the current state of knowledge and the AVS parameters used to manipulate consciousness, are by necessity rather simplistic. This is true even though the formalized field is more than 50 years old (arguably much longer) but one must start somewhere.

I can say reliably that over the 20 years or so I have been involved with AVS, many people have reported truly remarkable states of mind, and using it I personally have experienced most levels of altered states as defined for example by Charles T. Tart. I also work to create sessions that encourage these states of mind in others, although it is only recently that we really have the tools widely available to create with freedom and analyze with acceptable precision.

All this may or may not matter to the group, and honestly might even take some of the fun out of it, but it is worth considering and potentially quite valuable for future developments. The great thing is that now individual explorers have quite powerful and affordable 'input' and 'output' tools at their disposal. So, we no longer have to rely upon peer-reviewed funding or board certification to conduct experiments, to gather and analyze data sets.

There is a time when we learn and a time when we teach. There is a point at which we 'profess' and a point at which we 'prove'. The potential value of AVS as one among many tools of consciousness 'state-creation' is to work toward creating a bridge between what intuition says is possible and what demonstration proves is possible.

Thanks for reading. Your comments are welcomed.

Scott
neuroasis

Why AVS Machines Matter

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Why AVS Machines Matter

Postby Lionheart » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 pm

A fantastic post Neuroasis (Scott). I made a thread with a link to this post over at the astralpulse.com as well.

Thank You for your words of wisdom! :)
Lionheart

Postby Xanth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm

I've always loved meditation for how I can shift my state of consciousness to something different from my normal waking consciousness and experience some really trippy things.
What I'm finding about these AVS systems is that they're assisting me in making that shift so much faster and more efficient... and I've only been using it for a couple days now!

I don't have too much more to say other than I agree with Lionheart, your post is amazing!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Lionheart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:13 am

Xanth wrote:What I'm finding about these AVS systems is that they're assisting me in making that shift so much faster and more efficient... and I've only been using it for a couple days now!

The depth that you can reach and the speed that it takes you to reach that depth is what I find so unique about these machines.

I still do regular meditation. But it normally takes quite a bit longer to hit the "zone" than it does with a AVS machine.

You will find that it will indeed help you to find that depth quicker without the machine too, after more usage. It becomes a "measuring stick" of sorts! :)
Lionheart

Postby neuroasis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:07 am

In the context of this discussion, that is scientific analysis of altered states, we need ways to define terms like 'depth' and temporal concepts like relative 'speed'. There are of course various hypnotic depth scales, however these tests are usually administered by a therapist. They are often physical outward signs or noted reactions. Generally, an AVS session is a private affair although also used in modern hypnotherapy.

This is where EEGs are useful or biofeedback devices. What is going on inside?

Though in response to what you guys are saying, an additional benefit of AVS tech is a form of state learning. AVS sessions are patterned stimulus. They are exact and repeatable. You can build up associative reactions to them. They can be thought of as triggers. Once the triggers are 'installed' then you can re-create the conditions on demand and thus the states of awareness to a degree. Conceivably, you can compress this into shorter time frames too.

I have a certain number of triggers that I use and somewhat of a frequency language. It is still evolving.
neuroasis

Return to Toys, Tools & Gadgets