What is Spirituality?

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Spirituality or Spiritual Growth, please post them here.

What is Spirituality?

Postby Xanth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm

I thought I'd start with a really broad question to see the different perspectives. Remember, there really aren't any wrong answers here.

So? What is Spirituality to you?

How does one work on a Spiritual Path?
Xanth
Site Admin

What is Spirituality?

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: What is Spirituality?

Postby ChopstickFox » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 am

Spirituality is that which gives meaning to one's life and draws one to transcend oneself.

So... what is the spiritual motivation of Chopstick... This will be fun and I hope I don't start going too many directions at the same time.

I honestly think that I understood the most about reality and the universe when I was a child. No matter how I look at it, no matter how many books I read or videos I watch, I will not be able to compare with the wisdom of a mind unhindered by this world.

"True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing."

But that doesn't mean I shouldn't learn. Not by a long shot. But to learn with the understanding that in the wide scheme of things, I am still but a child. Always. No matter how learned I become or whatever challenges I overtake. I still only know but a fraction.

What is so meaningful about that? If it is so impossible for me to achieve true understanding and I am so insignificant, where is my motivation? That is my complete motivation. To be awestruck by the universe. Amazed that I am able to see such brilliance and wonder. How beautiful it is that I am myself. There are so many others, only looking at this world and physical reality alone. And I am ME. I exist and I am experiencing. That fact gives meaning to my life. I am in this life and I can create. I really can't explain how much excitement that brings me, as simple as it sounds.

Edit: Totally missed the second question there...

How does one work on a spiritual path?

What this means to me is very simple, but can also have the potential to be incredibly difficult.

Love.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you think the sky is purple or green. What will be will be. So let's all be productive and no matter which path is taken let's do it with love. Loving our friends, ourselves, our enemies. I know it is incredibly idealistic... But love heals beyond the wounds here in this physical world. You can't go wrong with genuine love.
ChopstickFox

Postby Jack Reacher » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 pm

To me, spirituality is about how you interact and influence things that are outside of you. When no one is around to catch you, when there are no consequences, how you behave is the most important thing to me.
A particle physicist is a collection of atoms that have gotten together to observe themselves.
Jack Reacher

Postby astralzombie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:13 pm

To me, spirituality describes the things that we do to become the being that we want to become.

If you want to be loved then you have to be like me. :lol: Seriously though, I used to be very confused about spirituality. I thought it meant praying every night and going to church and observing all the religious holidays and such. Now I think it is more along the lines of taking action to improve the lives of everyone including total strangers.

I am one of those guys that holds up traffic at a green light to give some poor soul some money. I know what most of them want it for but I don't care. I give it to them and hope they use it for the right things. If they don't, that's on them.

I'm a softie for veterans and one time while I was leaving a Barnes & Noble, I saw a man in a wheel chair wearing an old battered army jacket. For all I know, he never served a day in his life but he was the right age for a Vietnam vet and so I gave him about twenty bucks that I had in change in my trucks ashtray. I was winding my way out of the parking lot and noticed him pumping his arms double time to catch up with me.

I stopped and got out and he showed me a gold ring that was mixed in with all the change. It was a ring that I had given a girl and she ended up throwing it at me a few months later. So i just put it in the ashtray and never thought twice about it. Anyways, I thanked him and told him that he could keep it and that one of the pennies I gave to him was worth more to me than the stupid ring. He gave me back a penny and as he did, I looked at it. It was from 1968. I said that aloud and he started to cry. That was the year he said he was drafted and lost both of his legs in a mortar attack.

I tell you, spirituality, synchronicity, and the NPR are so intertwined that a spider couldn't weave a better web.
Last edited by astralzombie on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astralzombie

Postby Jack Reacher » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I agree with most of what you guys are saying, I guess what is spiritual different for every person, for me it is coming into your own, understanding what you are, what you can control, what you cant control, what you want, really just understanding who you are and acting and living on it.

I don't however, think that there is some multiverse or cosmic web looking out for us. To tell a starving african child to believe and trust in a multiverse and say everything will be ok won't prepare him from having his village burned down and being forced to either become a child soldier or be executed. I can't see how anything in a next life can possibly justify the unnecessary suffering many people go through in this world.
A particle physicist is a collection of atoms that have gotten together to observe themselves.
Jack Reacher

Postby CFTraveler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 pm

To me, spirituality is knowing there is more than meets the eye. If there is any such thing as 'becoming more spiritual', it would be just recognizing the divine in everything and everyone.
It's very simple.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Xanth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:03 pm

CFTraveler wrote:To me, spirituality is knowing there is more than meets the eye. If there is any such thing as 'becoming more spiritual', it would be just recognizing the divine in everything and everyone.
It's very simple.

I'd probably peg that pretty close to "enlightenment". lol

The realization of the truth.
Well, *THE* truth, as close as any individual consciousness can get. lol
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby astralzombie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Jack Reacher wrote:
I don't however, think that there is some multiverse or cosmic web looking out for us. To tell a starving african child to believe and trust in a multiverse and say everything will be ok won't prepare him from having his village burned down and being forced to either become a child soldier or be executed. I can't see how anything in a next life can possibly justify the unnecessary suffering many people go through in this world.

That has also been one of the hardest things for me to square with. But one of my beliefs is that we choose to become human knowing that this type of painful physical existence is quite possible. I know that's a poor excuse to rationalize that kind of suffering but it's a great example of how being human can be so beautiful, that this type of suffering is worth the chance at being human.

Knowing that children suffer like so, helps to inspire many people to try and make a difference. If there was no suffering, there would be nothing to change our hearts or help us appreciate the things that we have.

Just my 2 cents.
astralzombie

Postby Bedeekin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:23 pm

I don't really know to tell you the truth... and that was a well thought out answer.

I don't feel spiritual... or I don't feel I fit the mould of a spiritual person. I think that just arises from what spiritual people around me seem to be like.

The word spiritual evokes a sense of the sublime and believing in spirit... or that there is a spirit.

See... I really don't know.

It's the hardest question and thing for me to grasp even though I've been doing this stuff nearly my whole life.
Bedeekin

Postby CFTraveler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Bedeekin wrote:The word spiritual evokes a sense of the sublime and believing in spirit... or that there is a spirit.

I think that's what I was getting at- some of you are describing phenomenology as spirituality. I think we may follow disciplines and techniques, and look for ways to manipulate reality, and call it 'spirituality'. You don't 'do' spirituality, I think you discover it. Or so it seems to me, being that 'spirituality' is indeed related to 'spirit'.
Xanth, heavens me! You said the 'e' word! :shock: Lol. :)
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Xanth » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:22 pm

CFTraveler wrote:Xanth, heavens me! You said the 'e' word! :shock: Lol. :)

ROFL! Yeah! I've figured out that it's not the dirty word we all thought it was...
or at least it's not the word that's dirty, it's the definition that you give it that makes it dirty.

I really do prefer Adyashanti's concept of enlightenment... it's coming to the realization when you're able to allow everything to simply be as it is.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby pHI » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Spirituality to me is expressing your love for everything that's within you and around you. And to what extent you express your love for certain these things.
Don't let yourself fool you, you are something great !
pHI

Postby CFTraveler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:34 am

pHI wrote:Spirituality to me is expressing your love for everything that's within you and around you. And to what extent you express your love for certain these things.
Yes! Or to put it as an often repeated joke, in S. R., Spirituality Discovers You! :D
CFTraveler

Postby Methiculous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 pm

What IS spirituality?
I think it is the next evolutionary step in self awareness.

Monkeys and dolphins and a handful of other animals are self aware, that is, they have a sense of self identity. But are they spiritual? What does it take to be spiritual? Is it uniquely human?

After you have evolved a sense of self, and are lucid in thought, you start to explore and question 'self' and all its many facets. And we come up with words like, 'morals', and 'emotions' to describe it. Scientists can give silly names for the many parts of that big blob in our heads called a brain. But when we start to think, what is consciousness and where is it if I can't see it or touch it, said brain explodes.

Then without an answer for it we create the idea of a spirit and religion ensues in all their many forms, but they all are 'spiritual' in nature. I happen to practice Michael Scannellism. Spirituality to me is exploring the intangible aspects of 'self' or 'ME'. We are all a bunch of entities and consciousnesses that consider ourselves, 'ME's, and are floating around on this small pebble floating around in a desolate universe trying to figure out this thing called 'existence'. We are all in this together though.... It's us against the universe and we must figure it out. That is spirituality to me and others who practice Michael Scannellism... (which is also me... I am the only one... :lol: )

And yet some would say being spiritual is to abandon ego and self identity because it clouds the true spiritual self. And I wonder.... haven't all the other animals done that already?!

[Just some food for thought.....]
I close my eyes and see what I can see, whatever it may be.
It could be the sea, or I could see a bee.
Don't you see? It doesn't matter to me. Just let it be!
(written by a great poet after a dream... ME!)
Methiculous

Postby Desta-Zuberi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Spirituality is to love to oneself and others. A spiritual person cares about people, animals, and the planet. Being conscious of what is loving and what is not loving in your thoughts and actions. Kind thoughts rather than judgmental toward themselves and toward others. When you look spiritual person, you see kindness in their eyes.

Many people call themselves Spiritual but do horrific things, far from “spirit”. There are many religious people who are anything but kind and they call themselves spiritual. We all know of religious people who are extremely judgmental, righteous, and outright mean.

Spiritual is love, peace, joy, truth and kindness and personal journey.
Desta-Zuberi

Postby Xanth » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Desta-Zuberi wrote:Spiritual is love, peace, joy, truth and kindness and personal journey.

All the best that life has to offer! :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Return to Spirituality