What is Grounding and Centering Yourself?

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Meditation, please post them here.

Postby Xanth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Note: I wrote this roughly 8 years ago. I think it all mostly still applies though. :)

What is Centering?

Centering, refers to your mental and physical state. Centering means to calm your emotions and slow your mind and your breathing to a point where you can ‘feel’ a lot more going on around AND inside you. It’s like a state of alertness, but really relaxed at the same time. It’s described as “Mindfulness”.

For things like Astral Projection, it’s VERY important to always remain centered. This means keeping your thoughts and most importantly your emotions in check at all times. Staying “calm” is centered. You can practice this throughout your physical life… for example, say someone cuts you off in traffic? What’s the usual response you might give? You sit there in your car mouthing insults into the air, you might even flip the person the finger. At this moment, you’re the exact OPPOSITE of centered.

Realize that anything you do, however you react isn’t going to change what happened. Take a deep breath if you have to, count to 5 and then just accept what happened and allow yourself to release it. This is the act of centering yourself.

For meditation purposes, to center yourself breath in for a count of 5 (or however long it takes to slowly fill your lungs), then out for a count of 10 (rule of thumb is twice as long as the inhale) You’ll know when you’re centered when you feel calm and at peace.

It’s a pretty self explanatory experience really. If you’re not sure what it feels like, then you haven’t reached it. It’s really not hard though. Just don’t “TRY” too hard and it will come. Now you can Ground yourself.

What is Grounding?

Grounding is a term used mostly in conjunction with energy. Grounding means to get rid of the excess energy in your body and provide a path for new, clean energy to come through. It’s important to always have a good flow of energy coming in and going out when meditating and doing any energy work.

Most people Center themselves before they Ground themselves. It’s just a logical way to do it. First you calm the energy, then you move the energy.

How do you Ground your Energy?

This is a very simple exercise to ground yourself that can do almost anytime you want if you’re feeling unbalanced or anxious or just beaming with extra energy that you have no current use for.

Sit down, close your eyes take a DEEEEEEP breath. Exhale slowly. While exhaling visualize a root system growing downwards from yourself. Visualize it growing down towards the earth farther and farther until it reaches the earth below you. If you’re in a high rise or a higher floor of a house, you’ll need to visualize this until you feel you’ve reached the “earth” below you. When you feel the connection, visualize your old energy moving down that root system and then new energy coming in through the top of your head. This will provide a nice even flow coming through your body to aid you in any energy work you intend to do.

http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2010/ ... -yourself/
Xanth
Site Admin

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: What is Grounding and Centering Yourself?

Postby PhaseshiftR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 pm

"You sit there in your car mouthing insults into the air, you might even flip the person the finger. At this moment, you’re the exact OPPOSITE of centered."

I made a mistake once in traffic and had a guy shout at me and honk his horn many times. While it's really hard not to get mad, I always just look at them smile, give a (sorry like wave) and blow off the rest... It took many years of practice... :D People make mistakes...

Thanks Xanth.
PhaseshiftR

Postby Majic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 am

You sit there in your car mouthing insults into the air, you might even flip the person the finger. At this moment, you’re the exact OPPOSITE of centered

I dont think its as easy as that as that could be a very intense focus that I would call centered depending on how much energy and focus you get into it and I dont think being nice has much to do with it - just look at a cat that is about to kill. To me that is centered in an awesome way
Majic

Postby Szaxx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 am

In the case of a hungry lion, it's imperative to be centered and grounded, intent too. Either that or risk starvation.
Nice thought.
Szaxx

Postby Xanth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 am

Majic wrote:
You sit there in your car mouthing insults into the air, you might even flip the person the finger. At this moment, you’re the exact OPPOSITE of centered

I dont think its as easy as that as that could be a very intense focus that I would call centered depending on how much energy and focus you get into it and I dont think being nice has much to do with it - just look at a cat that is about to kill. To me that is centered in an awesome way

When I used the car example, I wasn't referring to being nice. Your example works very well as well!

I was referring to remaining calm and emotionally balanced. Choosing to get angry at a situation is the opposite of remaining calm and being emotionally balanced. :)

Although, "kindness" usually comes out of this state of consciousness.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:26 pm

LOL - just my perverse nature to point out another view but I agree the state is the goal and it is independant of emotion so to an observer it could be confusing but not to the person centering themselves
Majic

Postby Xanth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:16 pm

A dude on another forum was asked, "How do you define spiritual development?"
His reply was: "Becoming conscious. When someone cuts you off in traffic, people don't make a conscious decision to get angry, just as when someone you didn't see stands up from behind a bush, and you jump automatically. These are unconscious reactions to stimuli. Spiritual development is about being aware, of not just states of divinity and oneness, but also the places that would have reacted if they weren't made conscious. It is about the freedom to live whatever experiences you choose, whether they seem to be internal or external. When life events happen, you are not enslaved to reacting to them, they lose the ability to change your state of being. There are many things I could say, but this seems to be a fair summary."

Wonderful reply and along with the answer to "Spirituality" is a prime example of remaining grounded and centered in a given situation.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:21 pm

I was kind of curious... would anyone want to share how they ground and center themselves?
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:28 pm

In WR I dont decide to center or ground myself but find it is something that happens when i need it to. I will doing something that is leading to needing an extra effort, normally a mental effort of focus and will have been thinking in a more focused way and I will get a similar feeling to the energy that rises in a dream state - a feeling that starts in my belly and surrounds me and I really need to maintain my awareness of my surroundings as it is very intense. There is also the feeling of being in a small space that is entirely mine not dissimilar to the dream space and the feeling of first becoming aware in a dream.
At this point I am super focused and doing what I had intended.
I dont do anything to start this but guess I start the process by focus on my task and then allow the state to evolve
Majic

Postby CFTraveler » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

I become hyper conscious of where I'm sitting, what's before, behind, around me, up to the smallest detail. I survey how my butt feels, (or my back, whatever is touching wherever) how my whole body feels, in contact with floor, chair, air, etc. I keep surveying the immediate surroundings, and then stretch out my consciousness to survey the 'bigger' picture, and continue to expand it out into the universe as much as I can conceptualize (and place myself in) it.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby wstein » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Kind of an old thread but I am new here so will put in my 2 cents.

Grounding is attaching yourself to something either more stable in order to stabilize yourself, or something with more capacity so that you can release something into it.
Centering is orienting your way of being to come from your core (spirit) and radiate outward. Sometimes this is phrased as looking inside rather then outside for answers.

The most common thing to ground to is the Earth. It is both more stable than most people and has way more energy holding capacity. Though dumping negative or excess energy into the Earth is a useful and practical survival tool in the short term, it is essentially pollution to the Earth. It may seem like the Earth is big and can take it, but that is what they said about pumping things into the atmosphere (oops).
Few stop to consider why the Earth is so stable. After all its not sitting on anything, is spinning and rotating constantly, and has no safety rope or stabilizing force field. In my view the Earth is stable because it is centered about its core.

Learning to be centered actually has several parts depending on one's current state. The most important is to know or have a way to find who you are, that is where one needs to be. For that I recommend the 'me-not-me exercise' (separate post). Surprisingly harder for most is to stop looking outside (to others or authority) for answers. It's fine to look eternally for clues or inspiration, even support. The key part here is to stop and ask what 'I would do in this situation?'. Another common battle is to wrestle control of your life away from your 'tools', most commonly the ego, intellect, emotions. There is much written on how to do that so I will not try to address that here.
sin nada
wstein

Postby astralzombie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Learning to be centered actually has several parts depending on one's current state. The most important is to know or have a way to find who you are, that is where one needs to be. For that I recommend the 'me-not-me exercise' (separate post). Surprisingly harder for most is to stop looking outside (to others or authority) for answers. It's fine to look externally for clues or inspiration, even support. The key part here is to stop and ask what 'I would do in this situation?'. Another common battle is to wrestle control of your life away from your 'tools', most commonly the ego, intellect, emotions. There is much written on how to do that so I will not try to address that here.

Very well put.

We are all guilty of turning to the outside for help when we can usually look within. We all need advice, guidance and a helping hand, but if you need someone to walk you the whole way through life, you will be disappointed.
astralzombie

Postby Szaxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:57 pm

To be grounded is to be fixed to the core or base of all your perceptions. Anything 'viewed' by any of your senses will make perfect sense.
To be centred is to be the core of all percieved, this only requires a stable awareness of your concious self within the physical. Outside of the physical you are that centre as you experience whats percieved from within the self.
Each 'self' will eventually unite, being individually grounded and centred then has no purpose. As one and all is all and one.
Are you ready for this?
If so, you may fully interpret the above.
Szaxx

Postby CFTraveler » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 am

Lionheart wrote:To me grounding and centering myself is closing my eyes and just being aware of everything around me. Many times I will go into the middle of our yard and close my eyes reach up to the sun and just relax.

Other times, when I feel out of sorts, I will create a Tetrahedral barrier around myself, using all the elements, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, even Spirit and some other points of focus, then I just consume them all into my being, until I feel at one with all of them again.

Ok, enough from the crazy man! :lol: To each their own, right?
Hey I do the same! Except I haven't made a tetrahedron in a long time, gotta try it soon.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Return to Meditation