Off to Japan!

If you wish to discuss something that isn't directly related to the subject matter of this forum, please post them here!

Off to Japan!

Postby ChopstickFox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 pm

I am about to get on my flight! 5 days of Tokyo and Kyoto! Woo hoo! Most likely I will be back in a few days. Unless the hotels have wifi and I am not dead tired. Take care, everybody!
ChopstickFox

Off to Japan!

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Off to Japan!

Postby Xanth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm

OMG! You're so lucky!

I'd LOVE to go to Japan someday. Have a great time!!! :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Enjoy - I am off to the Gold coast for a few days and then on to Port Douglas for a break
Majic

Postby AstralJames » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm

I was born in Tokyo! Have fun!
AstralJames

Postby Xanth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 am

Everyone is going away! I'm jealous!

Thankfully, I've got April 15th - 19th off from work! Looking forward to that...
My fiance and I are going to Niagara Falls for a couple days. Should be fun!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Szaxx » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 am

Enjoy your stay in Japan K.
Szaxx

Postby astralzombie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 am

Have fun and make Sunday epic! You won't forget too this year I'm sure. ;)
astralzombie

Postby CFTraveler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Have fun, and tell me if Kyoto is as cool as I imagine it to be.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby ChopstickFox » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:34 am

Hey! I'm back and had a blast! I will load some pictures in just a bit, but I'll go ahead and share what it was like!

WOW!!!!! Even the toilets were fun to play with!!! AND SO CLEAN!!!

Japan really doesn't have many signs in English and either no one knows English or they're really good at pretending not to know it. Kind of like America with English. No one stared at me like in China either. Everyone was so quiet and to themselves... It made me miss China which is more like America where there is no unspoken taboo for talking to people. Am I biased? Maybe a bit... Everything was so high tech, pollution free (I WISH America had their standards!!!!). Evey bit of water and landscape looked beautiful... Like everything WANTED to grow.

There was a bit more shopping than I would have liked... The Chinese peeps loved it because foreign brands are much more expensive in China. However, everything is cheaper in America. I actually wasn't too impressed by the sushi compared to what I can get in the US, either... I spent $10.00 USD on a bowl of ramen... RAMEN!!! It was damn good ramen, but regardless... >_>;;;

I never got to see the Fushimi Inari shrine which was a bummer. It was the biggest reason why I wanted to go to Japan. But we did see some other beautiful locations. A castle in Osaka, tons of Cherry blossoms in bloom, a HUGE statue of Buddha in Nara as well as a ton of deer that were not at all shy. Another awesome place in Nara had lines of moss covered stone lanterns. Beautiful... Kyoto was also quite a sight. We went to a temple kind of thing there. Also in Kyoto was a place with a bunch of old temples (I'm a sucker for them!!!). We walked farther up the mountain and came across a cemetery that was over a thousand years old!

Probably my favorite part was when my hubby and I were on our own for dinner the first night. We decided to go to a small "mom and pop" place. 100% Japanese and no pictures on the menu. HA! I ordered Sake because I knew how to say that and wanted to order some (yum!!!). As for the menu, I was surprised that the prices weren't bad. A drunk man knew a little English and gave us a hand, but it was still a guessing game. My hubby almost ordered raw horse meat by accident!!! We had looked it up later on. So we finally order and a tiny bit of food came out. Oh man! We ate what we got then found a noodle place. haha! Afterwards we found a small shrine kind of thing and wandered around.... So much fun!

One thing that struck me as unexpected and actually kind of sad... Everything looked so new. So perfect. Everything from the streets to the sidewalks to the buildings. Everywhere. Like you could eat off the street. Well, that's not the sad part. It's that even if something was supposed to be old, it looked like it had been built yesterday. It has a different feel. I don't know if I can really explain it right... But it didn't feel much different than seeing the replicas in Disney World. Like a shell. It's spirit long gone. Maybe I'm spoiled by seeing the Buddhist temples in China... Buddhas carved into the mountains... Forbidden City... It still holds a special something. Like a hidden spark. I wanted to feel that, but at least in all the famous places we went, it was difficult.

So... here we are! Back in China! Then not much longer till we're back in America!!! (yay!) It's cold here and I miss the warmth!!!! And the green! And the clean air!!! Japan spoiled meeee.....
ChopstickFox

Postby Majic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:58 am

Thanks for that, I understand the new feel that some places have and I dont like it either as it makes for sad places but thats the world we live in
Majic

Postby ChopstickFox » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:08 am

I think China might be a bit slacking in the restoration area. Maybe that's why I like it here so much. America has such a short history... Well... As the United States... ;)

But even places in NYC felt older than these thousand year old cities.
ChopstickFox

Postby Szaxx » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 am

Hi K,
Glad you had a fantastic time. Im sure the photo's will make more of us envious too.
You want to return by your post above.
I can't blame you.
Szaxx

Postby Bedeekin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 am

So you are saying that the ancient buildings look new because they are well looked after or that they are renovated every year... like replaced with new bits to the point the old has gone?
Bedeekin

Postby ChopstickFox » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:06 am

The old is long gone... It is new and modern in the style of old. Kind of like karaoke tracks, but they all suck.
ChopstickFox

Return to Off-Topic Discussion