Michael Pollan: No Free Lunch

If you have any media links you wish to share with everyone, please post them here.

Postby Xanth » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Xanth
Site Admin

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Michael Pollan: No Free Lunch

Postby Majic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Everyone thinks money is the problem and the solution, if you want better food then go grow some
Majic

Postby Xanth » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:47 pm

That's definitely a solution that most people overlook.
I took to a farming experiment this past summer... started a small vegetable garden.
I had really good results (tasty too!) from it. So next year I plan on expanding things greatly. :)

I do a lot of juicing now as well... so it'll be nice to get truly organic fruits and veggies to work with.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:55 pm

I have heaps of gardens now and buy almost nothing from the supermarkets if I can help it. On my trips away I bring back dozens of free ranges eggs, up around 70 bags of horse manure for gardens and just making a good go of it all and getting results now. Its a good way to go and can also be very simple as well if you dont want to put a big effort in
Majic

Postby Xanth » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:47 pm

How do you deal when the cold weather comes and you can't garden anymore for the season?
That's what always confuses me... lol
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm

There is always one in the crowd....

Winter crops, here I would hope to have a lot of potatoes for the winter that are already waiting to be eaten and silver beet growing fresh and pumpkins from the end of summer. A bit of research and you find what grows easy and thats about it. I use brown rice and Quinoa for a base in a lot of meals as Quinoa is one of the highest protein foods that is vegetarian ( I am not vegetarian but have a lot of meals without meat) and along with brown rice is a pretty good mix as it is tasteless on its own.
Majic

Postby Xanth » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Oh that's pretty cool.
I'm going to have to really start researching this a bit more and try to possibly become more self-sustainable in the future.
Thank you for the tips! It's really much appreciated!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby CFTraveler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I've been into organic gardening ever since I moved into a 'house' house- and have found that in my area there are things you can grow and things you can't- I can grow tomatoes and peppers, and herbs of many kinds (atm I'm growing parsley, oregano and culantro) and will be planting onions and garlic soon- but there are too many cold weather vegetables (that is, vegs that need cooler temps than what we have most of the year) that just don't do well.
I've tried growing carrots and they are tiny, and melons and squashes rot as soon as the fruit sets (Florida)- but I have been able to grow lettuce in our 'winter', and it's pretty ok until it gets warm again.
My potatoes were a joke, because they're tiny and they have to be eaten right away, the weather is too humid and warm.

ps. And I did say 'culantro' and not cilantro- cilantro dies almost immediately outside- humidity and warm nights kill it. Culantro is a tropical relative of cilantro and tastes almost identical, but lasts longer in hot dishes.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Phantom » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:38 am

I know it's an old post but can't resist a gardening thread Xanth being also from the colder regions I have a couple partial solutions to the wintertime vegetable thing. FIrst When your growing freeze everthing you can. Properly frozen vegetables retain their nutrients better than the imported stuff does Second, lactofermentation. Now I love the taste of lactof. veggies Saurkraut is a well known example of one. The trick is to make sure the veggies are always covered with liquid, or refrigerate after opening a jar and use smaller jars. 2-4 ltr. I would strongly recommend using the whey from a greek yogurt. You can pickle eggs the same way if you have vegetables in with them. Fresh food sprouts. I don't bother with the fancy toys to make them just a plain old plastic container and rinse them daily wash the container after rinsing the beans or whatever your using. Mung beans work well and that purple prarie barley you can get at bulk barn works good too. radish, kale, lettuce, all sprouted well for me. You can let them grow a bit and have some greens too Radish greens are edible and add flavor to soups.
Phantom

Return to Media Links