Meditation Gem from the mind of Tom Campbell

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Meditation, please post them here.

Postby Xanth » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

I found a response that Tom had made to someone who was having problems with meditating. I think it’s a complete gem. Please do read.

You need to learn to meditate consistently first before trying more complex things, no wonder you are frustrated. Some how we have to calm that mind down or figure out a way to keep it occupied with non-operational non analytical fluff.

sound: Breathe normally but slowly, you can’t meditate holding your breath. Listen for the mantra while you inhale (breath in)(like listening for the thunder), Then hear the sound of the mantra in your mind while you exhale (breathe out), immediately listen for it again during the next incoming breath, then hear it again while exhaling, etc. As soon as any thoughts intrude, Gently (casually) put them side and begin listening and hearing again with the next breath — always breathing smoothly and slowly. keep this up. for just 5 minutes — set a timer or an alarm. when that gets easy lengthen it to 10 minutes, when that gets easy lengthen it to 20 minutes and then to a half hour. Do this at least several times a day (more when the times are short). EVEN IF THE IF THE LISTENING AND HEARING ONLY LAST A MICROSECOND BEFORE BEING INTERRUPTED, KEEP IT UP, JUST GENTLY AND CALMLY BUT FIRMLY PUT THE THOUGHTS ASIDE AS SOON AS YOU NOTICE AN INTERRUPTION AND THEN GO BACK TO LISTNING AND HEARING. Just do it with no expectations – we are not trying to meditate yet, first we must minimize those interruptions — that’s all, forget meditation for now — we are only trying to minimize the interruptions.
If you keep at it, the time between interruptions will grow – even if it grows from one microsecond to two microseconds, stick with it and it will continue to grow. After three months of multiple times a day, you should notice some progress. At that time, if the interruptions have slowed enough, report in and we will go to step 2

Sight: Same as above except instead of listening and hearing imagine a soccer ball levitating in front of you in one spot. As you breathe in let the ball spin slowly forward (top moving toward you, point closest to you moving down, and point on the bottom surface of the ball moving away from you), As your breath stops, let the ball stop, then as you breathe out let the ball spin slowly backward. Just intently watch the ball. Breathe slowly and rhythmically. All the rest is the same.

You do not need to wait 3 months to let us know what is happening, but do wait three months before analyzing anything or making any judgments. Just do and observe.

It’s a great suggestion really. Don’t jump headlong into meditation… learn to stop those mental interruptions, and before you know it you’ll be meditating!

http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2011/ ... -campbell/
Xanth
Site Admin

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Meditation Gem from the mind of Tom Campbell

Postby Zagadka » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:20 pm

I just started reading My Big TOE and read the chapter in which he suggests the mantra meditation. I decided to involve some energy in this method, 2 times daily for 30 minutes I repeat "Da-dum-di-dum". Now I have a few questions. In his book, he suggest a two syllable mantra with a vibrating soothing sound like "boom" or "ing". Is it really important or it could really be anything, as long as it has no sort of intelligent reference? I like to dadum-didum, but could I also just use a long Indian mantra (since I learned a few) like the Gayatri Mantra or something short like "Ohm Ah Hum". I am a little uncertain because I want to follow his method accurately. My question is: does any unintelligent words work for this exercice? Should you always use the same mantra or it has little importance if you switch?

So far I find the exercice interesting... as expected, I tend to have backthoughts of all sort. I'm being easy with myself, I know the results will be noticeable if I am perseverant. I noticed I tend to fall in a hypnogogic state in which my backthoughts becomes out of control and illogical and I see pictures. I saw a beautiful butterfly last evening. I suppose with more practice and with my strong desire to evole and to explore my consciouness, it will take me further at some point and I will know when I will be there, right? What exactly is the interruptions - the absence of thoughts / projection ? For a while I have been sitting in Indian ways to meditate, but I figured I would be better off sitting on a comfortable chair that keep my back straight. I don't think I could phase out in sitting like an Indian...

What's your experience of this mantra meditation? I also noticed that it helps me to fall asleep. I usually can't fall alseep if I am lying on my back, I'm a side person. But with the mantra I can do it without no problem. I figured that it may be better to lay in a position I have more trouble falling asleep to get in the mind awake, body sleep without drifiting in profound sleep. I really like this mantra exercice, I see it as a sort neat mental hacking :D

[i]EVEN IF THE IF THE LISTENING AND HEARING ONLY LAST A MICROSECOND BEFORE BEING INTERRUPTED, KEEP IT UP, JUST GENTLY AND CALMLY BUT FIRMLY PUT THE THOUGHTS ASIDE AS SOON AS YOU NOTICE AN INTERRUPTION AND THEN GO BACK TO LISTNING AND HEARING.

I was rereading it... I am right to think that the interruption mentionned here is when you stop repeating and listening to the mantra? I have no problem holding up, repeating and listening to the mantra... but I also keep thinking at the same time in my backthoughts, though it is less intense thinking because it isn't in the foreground and I eventually concentrate more on the foreground process of the mantra. I suppose it's normal and the whole thoughts process will eventually dissolve to that "point consciouness thing"?
Stand tall and shake the heavens
Zagadka

Postby Xanth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm

The interruption you speak of is like this...

Try this:
Try to listen to a sound off in the distance, listen intently to it...
The moment you STOP doing this, that is the interruption.

You work towards always being in the moment of listening for the sound in the distance.
It's about being mindful enough to always be in the moment. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Zagadka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:37 am

hum okay... well I have been practicing Campbell mantra meditation for almost two weeks... will keep doing so and pay more attention to the sound in my mind... and see where it takes me. I really have the feeling you can project from this method, sitting down in a chair. Yesterday, I was surprised to find myself crossing a wooden bridge over a valley... this sounds a lot like the first steps of phasing where you notice things and eventually fully emerge into it.
Stand tall and shake the heavens
Zagadka

Postby Xanth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 am

Zagadka wrote:hum okay... well I have been practicing Campbell mantra meditation for almost two weeks... will keep doing so and pay more attention to the sound in my mind... and see where it takes me. I really have the feeling you can project from this method, sitting down in a chair. Yesterday, I was surprised to find myself crossing a wooden bridge over a valley... this sounds a lot like the first steps of phasing where you notice things and eventually fully emerge into it.

You can project from anything that takes your focus away from this physical reality. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby astralzombie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 pm

You can project from anything that takes your focus away from this physical reality. :)

You told me something about obvious statements that this one really does prove. It's something we all basically already know but don't always take the time to digest and recognize. :)
astralzombie

Postby Xanth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 pm

astralzombie wrote:You told me something about obvious statements that this one really does prove. It's something we all basically already know but don't always take the time to digest and recognize. :)

I came to the conclusion after reading some stuff by Tom that sometimes I need to be told something or read something... and then personally make the connection between what I read/was told and an experience I've had. Sometimes it was something so obvious, like the above...

I believe I made a post about it a while back, lemme see if I can find it...
Yes, it was this one: http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2011/ ... -physical/

I came to the conclusion that I didn't know I was allowed to think a certain way because nobody has ever told me that I could! I know, that sounds absolutely ridiculous! Having to wait to be told that I can think a certain way before actually doing it... but yet, here I am, and there it was. It happened. LoL
Xanth
Site Admin

Return to Meditation