me not-me exercise (discovery of self)

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Spirituality or Spiritual Growth, please post them here.

Postby wstein » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 pm

This is my exercise for beginners who want to discover who they are.

As many times a day as you can manage, take the first thing that comes to mind and quickly label it 'me' or 'not me'. Do this for all manner of things: objects, beliefs, thoughts, lifestyles, actions, etc. Example: dog - not me, faith - me, curly hair - me, being nice - not me, walking - not me, green - not me, fast - not me, lust - me ....

At first this will be little more than a random guess. If you keep a journal, write them down. Do not get too hung up on the labeling thing. Just go with whichever feels more 'correct'. Do not worry about being consistent, reasonable, or right. Do not go back and change your answer, stay with your first answer.

After a few hundred of these assessments, they will not feel so arbitrary any more. Over time you will start to notice patterns. These are the clues you are seeking. Maybe you notice that outdoor things are you and indoor things are not. After several patterns emerge, most will notice that a certain (physical or emotional) feeling accompanies the you patterns and a different one for the not you patterns. At this point you should drop the labeling and just watch for those feelings. You now have an indicator that you can use to seek out 'yourself'.
sin nada
wstein

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: me not-me exercise (discovery of self)

Postby mini stapler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Sounds kind of like the 'nety nety nety' exercise... I spelt that how it sounds by the way, I have no idea how it's actually spelt. I think it translates to 'not this, not this, not this' or something like that. Where rather than looking for what you are, you look for what you're not, which will eventually narrow down to what you are. :D
Absolute looney tune.
mini stapler

Postby Methiculous » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:14 am

Although I was born about 30 years ago, I'm still trying to get to know this thing called... 'ME'.
It comes and goes, if you remember your non-lucid dreams and compare them to your waking self, you realize how the concept of 'ME' can change at a whim's notice.

Lucid... that's another story and sprouts new questions.....

Anyway,
The questioning of self identity is something I've been doing for a while. But no answers..... :cry:
I close my eyes and see what I can see, whatever it may be.
It could be the sea, or I could see a bee.
Don't you see? It doesn't matter to me. Just let it be!
(written by a great poet after a dream... ME!)
Methiculous

Postby wstein » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Methiculous wrote: The questioning of self identity is something I've been doing for a while. But no answers..... :cry:
Self identity is not an answer, its a statement only.
sin nada
wstein

Postby Methiculous » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 pm

wstein wrote:Self identity is not an answer, its a statement only.

You're right. It's neutral and just is.
If it's anything other than neutral then there are two misconceived ideas of 'self':
1. Low Self Esteem
2. Inflated Ego

I personally suffer with #1. I always feel a need to improve myself and don't feel adequate. I should work on that and just be content with who I am.
I wonder though... if someone views themselves in the #2 category do they suffer? They seem like happy, successful people. Then again maybe it hits home when they sleep at night and they realize who they truly are.

I doubt Donald Trump is a lucid dreamer! :P

As, us, lucid dreamers and 'projectionists' I think it's best to remain neutral and accepting of 'self' however it is perceived in any state of consciousness.

I'm thinking about Wstein's exercise and it makes sense. I still haven't given it effort, but it makes sense.
I close my eyes and see what I can see, whatever it may be.
It could be the sea, or I could see a bee.
Don't you see? It doesn't matter to me. Just let it be!
(written by a great poet after a dream... ME!)
Methiculous

Return to Spirituality