Kasina Light and Sound Machine Review

Discuss and link to the many toys, tools and gadgets out there that you might want to try and want an opinion on from everyone, or something you already use and want to tell everyone about it!

Postby Xanth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 pm

The great people at MindPlace (http://www.mindplace.com) have been very kind to provide me with a Kasina Mind Media System in order to review it.
With that said, I'm going to put it through its paces over the next little while and provide you all with a blow by blow rundown of it!
To start, I'll mention that this is my first light and sound machine that I’ve ever used.

This is everything that's included in the box.  There's the Kasina itself, in the middle.  The glasses above it (very stylish!).  The earbuds, which I have found to be very good as they fit nicely into the ear to provide such a seal that it's almost like noise cancellation.  It comes with an 8gb card, pre-loaded with A LOT of programs for you to use right out of the box, and you're able to download more or write your own with software they provide.  The rest constitutes the quick start up guide (very handy!), and all equipment you need to charge and run the device and a sweet little pouch to hold it all in when you're not using it or when travelling!  Very nice.

This image makes up the bulk of the actual machine itself.  It's very similar to an iPod/iPhone in size and scope, but it's about double as thick.  It's very light with a very strong, plastic construction, but it's completely solid and I'd be very confident using this as a straight up MP3 player on the road or working out with.
The software and controls make it very easy to navigate through the menus to find the program you want to run.

I'll run quickly over my first use of it, which was earlier today:

The first program I decided upon after running through the lists quickly was called "Forest and River", which has a run time of 16 minutes.  I sat down on my trusty recliner couch, made myself comfortable and loaded'er up!

The “Forest and River” program started... the light combinations, the pulsing and how everything mixes together was truly astounding.  After not even a minute into the program I was being whisked away to a beautiful forest, where all the rivers/trees/animals/etc were there, in my mind... and when I say “whisked away”, I mean it figuratively AND literally.  It started off with a fast pulsing of blues and greens, then slowed down bringing me even more deeply into the scene which was being generated in front of me.  I even briefly had images of trees pop in front of me (the literal part!)... meaning that, for brief seconds, I actually was "there", in the forest.  In projection practices, we call these hypnogogic images.  Then as the program was wrapping up, it would speed up the pulsing and bring you ‘back’ to normal, waking consciousness, kind of like the gateway tracks do.  I kind of wished that one was longer.

The value of this machine to meditation practices is really amazing and I’m really looking forward to delving deeper into what it offers, but I can truly see the value of this machine as an aid to Projecting.  Using this before bed, or even first thing in the morning, can really put the mind in the correct mindset to have many projections.

Anyway, that’s my initial impression so far.  It’s a high quality machine, no doubt about that.  I’m extremely impressed so far.  I'll be adding to this thread as I experiment more with it.  I plan on making this a regular part of my meditation/projection practices in the future.
Xanth
Site Admin

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Kasina Light and Sound Machine Review

Postby Xanth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:18 pm

I experimented with another track ending about 30 minutes ago.

It's listed on the Mind Place website as:

"Session 20: 25 min Deep Tranquility
Try this session first if you are really sensitive or just start-ing out on the machine. This is one of the most gentle sessions in the unit. Just sit back and allow yourself to gently flow."

It was suggested to me by Lionheart.

This was a 25 minute session, which really shows the basics of what the device can do. It takes you through several shifts, auditory and visual. The sound it uses is an isochronic beat, which generally don't do well for me, but this mixed with the light really makes a difference!

The strobe-effect creates an extremely vivid sense of movment down a tunnel being taken in various directions! They speed you up, slow you down, and toss a variety of colours into the mix to get your senses. In projection practice, the sense of movement really helps trigger the projection-reflex. So this kind of program will really assist with that.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:54 am

I will have to try that session as my first impressions were that its noisy and the lights hurt my eyes. I have used it a few times and had one time that I was on the verge of dropping into what felt like a lucid state but then lost it. keen to follow this thread and copy cat your sessions so we can get some more opinions and with lionheart and his experience we can get some guidance as well
Majic

Postby Xanth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 am

That's a great idea! I tried the "before learning" one since I had 20 minutes to spare yesterday. I don't know about the stated effect of making you more receptive to learning, but I did find it very relaxing anyway. And yes, I agree about the dropping off to lucidity.

I'm finding that I like the programs that provide a sense of movement then rapidly changes that sense to a new direction. Really focuses my mind. I think I'll bring that up with the support guy I've been working with to see if he has some suggestions or can write one for that.

I also need to further check their support forum for downloadable programs.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Szaxx » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:11 pm

I use audio only and find when you have a balance on beat frequency, volume and harmonics, things do change faster.
The lightshow would be interesting. How you interact with the light produced against the mundane darkness without it.
What difference to the trance state is there?
Szaxx

Postby Lionheart » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Szaxx wrote:I use audio only and find when you have a balance on beat frequency, volume and harmonics, things do change faster.
The lightshow would be interesting. How you interact with the light produced against the mundane darkness without it.
What difference to the trance state is there?

I returned my Kasina, but I can still answer this.

A light/sound machine TOTALLY consumes your focus. It is coming at you from using both Light and Sound together. If done right, this combo pretty well puts you in the scene that is being suggested.

After a while of use, 10 minutes with a L/S machine is enough to induce a very deep trance state. I would say it's comparable to an hour or more of regular deep meditation.

But I still say that there's more than meets the eye here and that it's kind of "cheating" per say. I believe that the light/sound combo clicks some kind of switch in our minds and consciousness that instantly activates the same depth that we receive while falling asleep.

I think it has something to do with releasing DMT into our system as well. Because that 10 minute session has also put you into a good SP state as well.

I have owned my L/S machine for almost 3 years now and I don't feel it has as much to do with the frequency of the lights, than it does how good the light and sound work together as a Session. In other words, how good the synchronicity of the actual program is.
Lionheart

Postby Xanth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Today, I had a lot more time so I downloaded a program which Lionheart used on his Laxman. It's one that neuroasis was kind enough to convert to the Kasina.

As a side note, it's REALLY easy to download programs and load them on the device. It works exactly like a USB Flash Drive. You just open the downloaded zip, and place the files within in either it's own folder or another folder on the device. So simple! Love it!

I loaded up the 30 minutes L#3 program, kicked the recliner couch back and enjoyed the binaurals and lightshow! It's very similar to the binarual I made a couple years back, with some differences. But where the program really kicked in was with the lights. The Binaurals are one thing that really help with your focus, but the lights bring a whole new layer of focus and kinds of melts your attention into the patterns you're seeing. It also kind of feels like your eyes are still open too, since you're 'seeing' so much. Another nice benefit which I'm noticing from this machine is that while using it, my eyes seem to be locked shut. Once those colours start firing my eyes are locked, can't open them until it's over.

One thing I would like to see, and I'm not sure if the options in the device can be set for this, is for the lights at the end of a program to slowly dim down until they're off. The quick shut off is rather abrupt. Other than that, this machine has been a pleasure to use.

Szaxx,
As I mentioned above, the lights bring a whole new layer to the mix. It's kind of like the 3D Blackness, yet it begins from the very get go and provides plenty to visually focus on. It's like binaurals for the eyes!

Next up, I'm going to try my hand at using the editor software which comes with the Kasina to make my own program!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Lionheart wrote: I have owned my L/S machine for almost 3 years now and I don't feel it has as much to do with the frequency of the lights, than it does how good the light and sound work together as a Session. In other word how good the synchronicity of the actual program is.

I really understand what you mean there.
There needs to be a sync with the sounds in order for things to "jive" properly. I really feel that as well.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 pm

I do have a question regarding the usage of these machines...

I guess this is mostly to Lionheart, but Majic, feel free to comment if you have a perspective as well (or anyone else for that matter).

When playing the program and "watching" the lights... how do you guy "watch" them? Do you focus on a point somewhere or just allow your eyes to go and do what they want? AKA: allow them to relax.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby neuroasis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Xanth,
Thanks for your awesome reviews and pictures. I am glad you are enjoying the Kasina. You seem to have a certain talent at finding the right effects in the machine even from your first tests. I can only imagine after more structured use and customized session what you might experience!

I understand what people are saying when they initially want to 'watch' the lights. This is an expected early stage. In fact, even in later stages it can be fun when you are able to switch between 'surface' awareness and 'depth' awareness. The Kasina supports a few more trippy 'interactive displays' than our previous machines. This is by design. The light output and sound encoding is much more complex. For serious work at further stages you will find a middle ground.

I am following your progress with interest and happy to answer any questions that people have.

Enjoy the ride,
Scott
MindPlace Development and Support
neuroasis

Postby Lionheart » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 am

neuroasis wrote:I understand what people are saying when they initially want to 'watch' the lights. This is an expected early stage. In fact, even in later stages it can be fun when you are able to switch between 'surface' awareness and 'depth' awareness.

Scott (neuroasis) nailed this one! :)

You can either use "surface" awareness or you can look to see what lies in the depths beyond the lights. Many times when you try to see the "depth" beyond the lights, you will find yourself in some kind of spiraling vortex scenario. This is when you find yourself in a very deep NP focus. When the Session is over, you are normally hitting a pretty good SP too. You will also notice it's hard to actually just "move" your body afterwards.

When you use a "surface" awareness, you are basically going in the direction that the programs suggestion is taking you. At least that's what I find with the Laxman. It's more relaxing and sometimes I prefer to just "go with the flow"! :)

There is a third option though and that is to use the light/sound briefly to get you relaxed, then just ignore them and create your own geometrical shapes, intended shapes or intended destinations. Like for instance try to look at your etheric body or immediate surroundings while doing a Session. Try to focus on Tetrahedral points surrounding you. Stretch your etheric body towards those points, so you actually begin to sense yourself growing/stretching. I like to try to expand my etheric leg so it's on the other side of the wall. Just little experiments to do. Be creative! ;)
Lionheart

Postby Majic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 am

When playing the program and "watching" the lights...

I think that is my problem at the moment as I am watching them wondering what is meant to happen next and really need to treat them as I do HI. This way I can get detached from what is going on and lose myself in my mind. I am home in a few days and keen to start using again
Majic

Postby Xanth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:33 am

neuroasis wrote:Hi Xanth,
Thanks for your awesome reviews and pictures. I am glad you are enjoying the Kasina. You seem to have a certain talent at finding the right effects in the machine even from your first tests. I can only imagine after more structured use and customized session what you might experience!

I understand what people are saying when they initially want to 'watch' the lights. This is an expected early stage. In fact, even in later stages it can be fun when you are able to switch between 'surface' awareness and 'depth' awareness. The Kasina supports a few more trippy 'interactive displays' than our previous machines. This is by design. The light output and sound encoding is much more complex. For serious work at further stages you will find a middle ground.

I am following your progress with interest and happy to answer any questions that people have.

Enjoy the ride,
Scott
MindPlace Development and Support

Oh hey Scott! I didn't even realize you registered here too! Welcome aboard! :)

I think it's my experience with meditation that allows me to immediately pull full advantage from the Kasina, I'm quite pleased with it all. As I pointed out above, I was wondering about "how" to use the lights... and you all provided such wonderful help! I've been switching inadvertently between surface and depth viewing. I find that the depth viewing provides more of that "tunneling" effect, but I also find it, personally, harder to hold for long periods of time than the surface viewing. I think I'm going to have to work on it and see if I can't teach myself to hold it longer and longer each time. The patterns created doing that are much different than the surface views.

Eventually, I plan on compiling all my "review" posts and create one big one and then post that on my main website.

Lionheart wrote: Scott (neuroasis) nailed this one! :)

You can either use "surface" awareness or you can look to see what lies in the depths beyond the lights. Many times when you try to see the "depth" beyond the lights, you will find yourself in some kind of spiraling vortex scenario. This is when you find yourself in a very deep NP focus. When the Session is over, you are normally hitting a pretty good SP too. You will also notice it's hard to actually just "move" your body afterwards.

When you use a "surface" awareness, you are basically going in the direction that the programs suggestion is taking you. At least that's what I find with the Laxman. It's more relaxing and sometimes I prefer to just "go with the flow"! :)

There is a third option though and that is to use the light/sound briefly to get you relaxed, then just ignore them and create your own geometrical shapes, intended shapes or intended destinations. Like for instance try to look at your etheric body or immediate surroundings while doing a Session. Try to focus on Tetrahedral points surrounding you. Stretch your etheric body towards those points, so you actually begin to sense yourself growing/stretching. I like to try to expand my etheric leg so it's on the other side of the wall. Just little experiments to do. Be creative! ;)

I think that goes right back to the "eye locking" thing I mentioned above too. I found that quite amazing that I had to actually STRUGGLE to open my eyes even a little.
I'll definitely take all of the great advice here and try both methods.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 am

I did use the Basic Kasina Editor last night to create a short 10 minute program which kind of mimics a binaural beat I made a while ago using a different program.
I was also playing with all the settings and seeing what everything did. Pretty good basic program.

I installed the more advanced ones as well, just to take a look into them... but wow, they were waaaaaaaaaaaay over my head.
It'd be nice to have a way in the basic editor to control each individual light, but I think that might be too far ahead for a "basic" editor. LoL

I plan on trying my 10 minute program tonight. It basically takes you QUICKLY down from an awake state over a couple minutes, then the last couple minutes you can just stew there for until it stops. Looking forward to it. If it works great I'll need to extend the times, which thankfully because the editor is so easy to use, will be easy to do! hehe
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby neuroasis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm

We are really lucky in the field of Audio Visual Stimulation, Biofeedback, and Neurofeedback to have a software development company that produces very powerful applications. That company is Transparent Corporation. http://www.transparentcorp.com/ Their 2 'levels' of applications NeuroProgrammer and Mind Workstation cover about every conceivable need for creating sessions, optimizing/personalizing sessions and mixing audio.

They have invested years in testing and perfecting their apps. They respond very well to suggestions and feedback and overall are a great small company with very talented, customer oriented people. So what I am saying is that it makes no sense for us to reinvent the wheel or try to compete with them. Rather we like to make alliances.

The main app that we include is a simple by design 'getting started' apps. Many people have no idea where to start in programming and become consumed by learning new interfaces. The Kasina Basic Editor is designed to literally let you make a session in 5 minutes, right out of the box. It is hopefully an empowering first experience that is encouraging rather than defeating. Of course, you quickly want more and that is a good thing because Transparent's apps pickup right where that lets off.

Also the KBE app is good for people who are running 'protocols' but want some variety. Using the Wizard you can quickly creating varying frequencies within a brainwave range. The color settings are secondary for these uses (red be the strongest stimulant, blue the least) and are controlled in realtime during playback on the Kasina.

Then the other side beyond the Transparent apps is the music workstation synthesizer apps built from MuLab tools. For people new to musical apps it is indeed a steep hill to climb. But man oh man is it powerful once you get there.

One thing that it would be untrue to claim is that serious exploration of neuro-tools is a cheap hobby. It is not. But near medical level devices are available at quite reasonable relative cost. The software to run them is pretty easy to learn and powerful, to a large part thanks to Transparent.

Hope this helps,
Scott
neuroasis

Postby Xanth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 pm

I used the 10 minute program I created in the thread above. I found that I don't really need the lead-up to the lower frequency and I would just get more out of it by just starting at the lower frequency to begin with, so I adjusted my program to do just that and added another 5 minutes so it. Kind of make it a relaxing power-nap meditation. It worked wonders, so extremely relaxing. I LOVE the low frequencies... lights and sound. Mixing the low frequency with the blue lights as well was a nice extra added touch to the program.

That brings me to my next point... being able to control the lights that fire by using the audiostrobe colour presets while the programs are running is really nice. It really changes the entire program, which means that you not only get an entire host of programs on the 8gb card that comes with the machine (except the spectrastrobe stuff, because I believe it already is programmed to use the different LEDs separately), but you also get several variations through each of the presets which you can use with each program. This includes the programs you create using the basic editor. So you can make something and also have several variations on it as well. Very versatile.

All in all, after using the Kasina for a week and a bit so far I'm really impressed with it. Some people have suggested elsewhere that it's a mere entertainment machine... I can't help but disagree with that completely. It's built for the serious adventurer. If you're seriously interested in giving your meditations a boost and if you're seriously interested in giving your Astral Projections a kick in the rear, then I have absolutely no doubt that this machine give you the non-physical focus you're looking for. ESPECIALLY if you're not interested or can't spend a lot of money on an AVS machine, then this is the best value for the dollar. Without spending more money, at $350 I don't think you'll find better quality or better value anywhere else.

Scott, Majic & Lionheart,
Did you have any specific programs which you find are your favourites that you'd recommend?
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 pm

So over the last little while, I've been experimenting with the Color Organ feature of the Kasina. It's pretty cool.
Basically, you can take any MP3 you have, load it onto the Kasina, then when playing it, run it through the Color Organ and it puts visual lights to the file.

It works really well. I tried some Diane Arkenstone music I have. Works really well. I also tried some Drum & Bass, which had a very strong impact with the Color Organ. LoL

Anyway, if anyone has a Kasina, I highly suggest playing around with the Color Organ feature. Try music that has more variety to it... stuff like calm relaxing music won't trigger it much.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby johndarke » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:44 am

I just bought a Kasina, based in part on your review and Lionheart's. I'm coming from an old Proteus...
I tried the Color Organ function, and it works well, at least with the music I've tried (Floyd, Zeppelin, various 80's synth pop and guitar rock). It's a really cool feature!

On another note, I was wondering if you had any recommendations on any of the Kasina's presets in regards to astral projection help. I've been working through Monroe's Gateway recordings and working on various other technique's mentioned here and on some of the other forums and other books, but I am having a tougher time learning to disassociate myself from my body while retaining consciousness (it's my darn ADHD mind...it truly is a 'monkey mind'! lol).

I've just started playing with the Kasina, and any help would be appreciated, thanks!
johndarke

Postby Xanth » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 pm

johndarke wrote:I just bought a Kasina, based in part on your review and Lionheart's. I'm coming from an old Proteus...
I tried the Color Organ function, and it works well, at least with the music I've tried (Floyd, Zeppelin, various 80's synth pop and guitar rock). It's a really cool feature!

On another note, I was wondering if you had any recommendations on any of the Kasina's presets in regards to astral projection help. I've been working through Monroe's Gateway recordings and working on various other technique's mentioned here and on some of the other forums and other books, but I am having a tougher time learning to disassociate myself from my body while retaining consciousness (it's my darn ADHD mind...it truly is a 'monkey mind'! lol).

I've just started playing with the Kasina, and any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the forum John! :)

If you're having a hard time learning to disassociate, then it's a matter of learning to continually push your focus away from this physical reality. The Kasina (or any quality light and sound machine) will definitely assist with that. Any of the presets will actually do well as long as it grabs your attention. You need to get yourself lost in the sights and sounds. Watch the lights flashing, the patterns, allow yourself to get drawn into the scene... that's the key though, "allow yourself to be drawn into the scene". This is why just about any of the programs on the Kasina will work just fine. ALTHOUGH, you will find that some programs work better *for you* than others. It's just a matter of experimenting. :)

I personally like to start with the Biomarkers program, which can be found in the SpectraStrobe/Rejuvenate folders. It's a short 10 minute program that really helps take me down to a comfortable level... from there, I put on just about anything to take me the rest of the way.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Neuroasis (from the mindplace support forum) also stops by here once in a while. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Next

Return to Toys, Tools & Gadgets