Kasina Light and Sound Machine Review

Discuss and link to the many toys, tools and gadgets out there that you might want to try and want an opinion on from everyone, or something you already use and want to tell everyone about it!

Re: Kasina Light and Sound Machine Review

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:31 am

Hello everybody,

I'm living in the Netherlands and i'm thinking to buy the Kasina. I have a Mac with Mavericks. Does the Kasina works on a Mac with Mavericks.
What are the main differences between the Kasina and the Procyon AVS?

Thanks for answering,

Richard
Richard

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Postby Xanth » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 am

Richard wrote:Hello everybody,

I'm living in the Netherlands and i'm thinking to buy the Kasina. I have a Mac with Mavericks. Does the Kasina works on a Mac with Mavericks.
What are the main differences between the Kasina and the Procyon AVS?

Thanks for answering,

Richard

Hi Richard,
I honestly don't know the answer to your question as I don't use a Mac nor have any experience with the Procyon AVS.
I've asked neuroasis to pop in to give you an answer. I'm certain he can give you one. :)

If it's any help... I do highly suggest the Kasina. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
I don't get as much time to use it as I would like, but when I do find the time, I find that it really enhances my meditation sessions!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby neuroasis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 am

Hi Richard,
I am one of the developers of the Kasina.
Yes, the Kasina works on Mavericks. You can mount the SD card and copy music files or sessions to it. It also works as a USB Audio device to play sounds and music from your computer through the Kasina (the realtime ColorOrgan being one use for this). The editor software for the simple mind machine part of the Kasina also works. It is Gatekeeper certified as well.

The Kasina and Procyon are completely different platforms although they are both very capable mind machines.

The most obvious differences are that the Kasina sessions are mp3 audio with embedded light control signals. The Procyon sessions are 'compiled' numeric instructions that control the light and sound. Thus without an external source of audio the Procyon audio is pulsing wave shapes or binaural beats. Whereas the Kasina audio is environmental, ambient soundscapes, and deep music.

Both the Kasina and Procyon support AudioStrobe which is a standard that has been around quite a while and has many music titles that support it. It can only control 2 of the 3 RGB colors at one time. The Kasina however expands this standard by mapping the colors to all 3 LEDs in realtime as the session plays back, with many choices selectable by the user. You can even change the color mapping as the session plays for a customized display. All of the MindPlace machines support AudioStrobe and the Procyon does allow you select a color mapping in the Windows software editor but it is a global change and not selectable in playback.

The second technology is the really big news of what the Kasina changes for the mind machine world. It is the realization of many years of development and is called SpectraStrobe. This standard expands AudioStrobe into all 3 color channels as well as separate left and right control for a total of 6 channels. SpectraStrobe is gaining wide support and acceptance with the major software titles from Transparent Corp already supporting it (Windows only) and audio plugins for a multitude of software. MuLab and some advanced SS plugins for it are supported on the Mac.

Many people love their Procyon for its excellent crisp light and classic onboard sessions. The Procyon is not quite as expandable or customizable (hint: software changes are coming though, for Mac too) The Kasina however best fulfills the idea of what an advanced modern mind machine can and should be. MindPlace will continue to support and expand both of these machines.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Scott
MindPlace Support
neuroasis

Postby deryk » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Lionheart wrote: I returned my Kasina, but I can still answer this..

Can I ask why you returned it? I just ordered my Kasina today, should be here saturday and am eager to try it. I have some insomnia issues and hoping for some help with it but I also practice shamanism and look forward to doing some journeywork with it.
deryk

Postby Xanth » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:22 pm

deryk wrote:
Lionheart wrote: I returned my Kasina, but I can still answer this..

Can I ask why you returned it? I just ordered my Kasina today, should be here saturday and am eager to try it. I have some insomnia issues and hoping for some help with it but I also practice shamanism and look forward to doing some journeywork with it.

He had mentioned that he liked the visuals of the Laxman better and there was little point in having two machines. :)

I've only used the Kasina and really love it. I think you've definitely made a good choice. You'll have a good time with your journeywork.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:23 pm

I might be a bit slow on this thing, I have the kasina and not sure what to do with it. I had hoped it would help or lead me into lucid states but all it does is annoy me with the lights.

Are there any techniques or tips on using it, I want to give it a fair go so looking for advice on use and purpose
Majic

Postby Soichiro » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Majic wrote:I might be a bit slow on this thing, I have the kasina and not sure what to do with it. I had hoped it would help or lead me into lucid states but all it does is annoy me with the lights.

Are there any techniques or tips on using it, I want to give it a fair go so looking for advice on use and purpose

I don't have a Kasina but a Proteus. I use it as a tool to keep me awake enough to repeat a mantra (in the morning after an x amount of hours). Without it I fall asleep too quickly and getting up from bed wakes me up too much. So I find this hitting a sweet spot for me. After about 20min with just the LightFrames on (no headphones) I keep on repeating the mantra untill the sensations (hopefully) arrive in whatever form. I don't take them off. Actually had a NPE once where I was still wearing them and taking them off in the NP didn't change much, it still felt like I was wearing them :P
Soichiro

Postby Xanth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Majic wrote:I might be a bit slow on this thing, I have the kasina and not sure what to do with it. I had hoped it would help or lead me into lucid states but all it does is annoy me with the lights.

This might sound like a silly question, but "how" are you "watching" the lights?

Basically, it's all about seeing the light and moving your focus 'into' the light. You're effectively making the light your non-physical focus.
It sounds cliche, and everyone tells you to do the contrary but... GO INTO THE LIGHT! LoL
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Not silly as its might be hard to answer, I will have to take more notice but it seems that they keep me out of my mind and dont take me into it. I will try to put some attention into them and see what happens.

Can you get lucid or enter a dream with focus on the lights in the same way a dream will come to you?
Majic

Postby Xanth » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Yes, you can. It's all about allowing yourself to move into the lights (aka, move within yourself). In the same way you allow yourself to fall asleep at night.
The "scenes" will come and flutter back and forth... eventually they'll just stabilize.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:48 am

Ok thanks for that, will put some effort into this or lack of effort and relax into it...
Majic

Postby Xanth » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 pm

For those asking... I forgot that I had copies of Lionheart's L#3 program on my Kasina. I've put them on my dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/395 ... verted.kbs <-- This one has Binaural Beats
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/395 ... verted.kbs <-- This one is isochronic
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/395 ... oSound.kbs <-- This one is apparently just the lights

The light patterns are quite good! :)
Try them out and let me know what you think.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby ob1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi, i wanted to talk about the Kasina.

I bought the kasina almost a week ago and i had the chance to try it at least 6 or 7 times.I never owned a mind machine before and really wanted one.
So basically heres my review :

At first,i was not impressed with the "Forest and River medtiation track,no visuals or anything special except that by the end of the session i was extremely relaxed and i felt euphoria for some reason which was surprising.But after this session,i started having a bad headache which lasted almost all day.

Next track i played was one of the Night journeys or something like that,i dont remember the track but it was amazing.It felt as if i was in space and i was flying at the speed of light and lots of really nice visuals.Also at some point my it felt as if my whole body was spinning in the vortex of light which was pretty cool.This was an awesome experience.in the end Same thing happened,i had a long lasting headache.

But as i continued using it ,the headache id get after using it would not go away.So i decided to return the machine.Basically i get migraines and headaches almost everyday or every other day or at least 3 times a week.So i believe that this machine sort of amplified the headaches/migraines.Its a shame because its an amazing machine.
ob1

Postby Xanth » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Did you try to turn the intensity of the light emitted by the glasses down a few notches?

In the end, some people are definitely going to be sensitive to the flashes. It's a really nice machine, which I do highly suggest to people.
But if it's going to cause headaches, then it's not worth... the headache. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby ob1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes of course,i never used it at max light,i would use a few notches less.I should have mentioned that.

Honestly i dont feel sensitive at all to the flashes,the headaches always started about 15 minutes to 30 minutes after a session.Sure i too would suggest it.I was not trying to say it was bad or anything.Just that in my case im the problem and not the kasina,if i didnt have almost regular headaches then im sure i could use without any problems.
ob1

Postby Zyhon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi

I am thinking of buying a Kasina to run the L#3 program from Lionheart since I failed to get it for my Laxman. I guess I came to late lol.

Can you guys share your experience with the L#3 program please :)

It would help pulling the trigger.

Thanks a million.
Zyhon

Postby Xanth » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:58 pm

I've been in contact with Lionheart, I've asked him to forward a copy for me to pass along. I'll let ya know. :)

With that said... the patterns of light that I see when I used it were very relaxing and created a greater sense of movement, which for projection (in my opinion) is what you're aiming for.
It was a solid piece of work.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Xanth » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 am

For anyone who has a Laxman, I've managed to find a copy of the L3 program for the Laxman.

You can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39504726/L%233.lax

Enjoy!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Zyhon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Xanth wrote:For anyone who has a Laxman, I've managed to find a copy of the L3 program for the Laxman.

You can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39504726/L%233.lax

Enjoy!

Omg You did it! I was so desperate. Thank you so much Xanth. I owe you so much.

Thanks a Million Time.

:D
Zyhon

Postby Xanth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:30 pm

No worries. :)

Let me know how it works for you.
Xanth
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Tools & Gadgets