Karma!

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Spirituality or Spiritual Growth, please post them here.

Karma!

Postby Xanth » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:46 am

We've touched on this subject slightly the last few days, and I was curious to get everyone's opinion and where they stand on the concept and idea of "Karma".

I've already said that I don't put much stock in it...
I've always viewed it as an action/reward, action/punishment kind of concept. Same as a Christian Heaven and Hell. It's meant to force you into being good, or else something bad will eventually happen to you.

What are your thoughts?
Xanth
Site Admin

Karma!

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Karma!

Postby Fresco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Its not an action/reward or action/punishment concept at all. The best way I've heard it be described is: "The universe doesnt judge, it just reacts".

This is the guy who wrote that quote: http://www.multidimensionalman.com/Mult ... death.html

List all the bad and good things you've done in your life, and then see if what you put out came back to you at a later time in your life. Karma can sometimes be instant, or it can take a day, a week or a few months to return to you. Sometimes it can even take a few decades

Last edited by Fresco on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fresco

Postby Xanth » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 pm

If it's not an "action -> reaction" system... how would you best describe it?
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Fresco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Xanth wrote:If it's not an "action -> reaction" system... how would you best describe it?

No, thats exactly what it is. Universe is an "action -> reaction" system. Except I dont think its aware that its doing that, its an automatic reaction system.

Think of it as throwing a ball against a wall, when you throw the ball it bounces back to you as soon as it hits the wall. No exceptions! And the wall is not aware that you just threw that ball, and that its supposed to return that ball to you. It just reacts

Last edited by Fresco on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fresco

Postby Fresco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Here's his quote: http://www.multidimensionalman.com/Mult ... nsion.html

Nature doesn’t judge, it just reacts

The fact that negativity cuts people off from creative energies is clearly illustrated on the lower levels. Inhabitants, who are conditioned to lead self - oriented, selfish lives with little regard for other forms of consciousness, have their creative powers vastly curtailed. Not as a punishment, but because their focus of attention is directed away from the all - pervading cosmic energy and forced into what is little more than an idea or an illusion of the self and directed away from its creative origin. The environment they inhabit has little esthetic appeal. The atmosphere is dim or dark, sometimes shrouded in heavy cold mists; vegetation is sparse, wilted or non existent. Negative emotions and feeling can find expression in grotesque thought forms. I encountered towering buildings with bleak windows or little signs of occupation. These were simply the outcrop of some monstrous, overbearing arrogance and self - importance having established its presence. They last as long as the prevailing emotions, but nevertheless can have a strange feeling of permanence.

People of a similar bent and persuasion often group together and, interestingly, put themselves at the mercy of each others shortcomings. On the higher dimensions too like -minded people tend to group together, as indeed they do on earth, but there they benefit greatly from each others spiritual generosity and love.

On the lower sub levels people often find to their dismay that no matter how long they walk to find their way out of the place and away from their companions they will still only encounter varieties of bleakness with no change of quality and they will always encounter people of a similar ilk. When observing these straying characters the word “lost souls” comes to my mind. The only way their world will change is via a change of attitude and consciousness.

As gruesome as these scenes are to me as an outsider I have quickly realized that psychology on this dimension finds a much more profound expression and hopefully leads to quicker progress and individual growth. But there are no guarantees and progress is totally dependent on the individuals will for change.

The story of the man being eaten up by resentment is also a graphic illustration of how the world on the lowest dimensions works. We largely maintain our human shape because of habituation, but it is not static.

Here on earth we accept that “makeovers” can change us dramatically. On the next level our shape and appearance are very much determined by our psychological makeup. The more symmetric and beautiful our appearance the more positive, beautiful and creative our inner life. The more unattractive, deformed and hideous, the more negative the content of ourselves.

On the higher levels we will be astonished to find what an exceptional beautiful species we really are when we function on such positive sets of emotions and attitudes. The loveliness of the people I have met has been simply enchanting and the attractiveness of their personalities deeply rewarding
Fresco

Postby Bedeekin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Interesting that this guy sees lower and higher levels... some people do segregate. It's understandable though.

I don't believe in an actual externally policed idea of Karma... I do believe that it's self motivated.. not physically but rather nonphysically. A self looping system that is probably not even apparent to the physical mind.
Bedeekin

Postby mini stapler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Absolute looney tune.
mini stapler

Postby CFTraveler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm

I think that Karma is the institutionalized version of a physical law: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" taken to religious levels.
So I don't believe in it that way. Please don't make me repeat my "fart on the elevator" metaphor. I've done it too many times.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Majic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I want it and make the kind of effort required to get it and it appears - LOL, sometimes. Karma I feel is intent and action
Majic

Postby Jack Reacher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't beileve in an external karma system, I think if you're selfish and self centered then you are still equally likely to recieve goodness from a random independent component of the universe. I have that belief simply based on looking at those who have everything in life and are fully contempt, they got there by screwing over other social classes and most of the time they seem to get away with it.

However... I do believe that karma sort of exists internally. If you do good, you will be proud of yourself for doing so and that sort of proudness is your reward, it brightens your picture.

If you were a good man and you somehow decide to you want to murder someone in cold blood just for the thrill of it, then I believe that in the future you will hate yourself for it, so really there is no escaping your own sins, you ar ein effect your own worst enemy.

Having said that those who are already evil who mindlessly sin don't really care or pay for it at all, so naturally good nature people should exclude them from their group by putting them behind walls.
A particle physicist is a collection of atoms that have gotten together to observe themselves.
Jack Reacher

Postby Bedeekin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 pm

CFTraveler wrote:Please don't make me repeat my "fart on the elevator" metaphor. I've done it too many times.

Well I haven't heard it... if it's a well repeated one it must be good... come on.. tell it. please? :)
Bedeekin

Postby CFTraveler » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 am

Bedeekin wrote:
CFTraveler wrote:Please don't make me repeat my "fart on the elevator" metaphor. I've done it too many times.

Well I haven't heard it... if it's a well repeated one it must be good... come on.. tell it. please? :)
Well, to me Karma just means that if you help make the world a better place then you live in a better place, and vice versa. No 'if you do A A will be done to you exactly' or any of the other stuff you hear about having to be born to suffer what you created. If reincarnation happens, then it's just a matter of logic that the result of your creation will come back to bite you.
Hence my fart in the elevator metaphor. If you fart in an elevator, you're going to have to smell it.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby pHI » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Karma. Hmm... I'm a believer in karma as I've seen it happen with my own eyes to myself.

What you give is what you get. I do believe that karma only really functions if you effect the emotions of another human and they send those emotions out into the universe for the universe to hear. The universe reacts to emotions that you created.

Back in middle school I had my friend push this kid down so I could beat him up (lol), couple months later I ended up getting "jumped" but it was a lot worse.
Don't let yourself fool you, you are something great !
pHI

Postby Fresco » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:57 pm

^^^^ yeah, I noticed karma can often repay twice or 3 times as bad in return.

Its painful, but you live and learn I guess
Fresco

Postby pHI » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Its painful, but you live and learn I guess

Indeed !
Don't let yourself fool you, you are something great !
pHI

Postby Jack Reacher » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:35 am

Hmmm, I have never beaten or physically hurt anyone intentionally before, and no one has done so to me either in my 21 years...
A particle physicist is a collection of atoms that have gotten together to observe themselves.
Jack Reacher

Postby Fresco » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Jack Reacher wrote:Hmmm, I have never beaten or physically hurt anyone intentionally before, and no one has done so to me either in my 21 years...

Not even as a kid??

I thought pretty much everyone had done that in their youth
Fresco

Postby Xanth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:25 pm

That's the problem with assuming everyone else has experienced something. ;) LoL
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Jack Reacher » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Actually now that I think back as a kid ( i may have been 4 years old at the time) I was playing with my neighbour and we were throwing rocks at a wall. For some reason I threw one right in his face, intentionally. Thought it was funny at the time and never looked back. I dont consider it much as I was only about 4 at the time.
Jack Reacher

Postby Fresco » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Jack Reacher wrote:Actually now that I think back as a kid ( i may have been 4 years old at the time) I was playing with my neighbour and we were throwing rocks at a wall. For some reason I threw one right in his face, intentionally. Thought it was funny at the time and never looked back. I dont consider it much as I was only about 4 at the time

Aha!!! Now the truth comes out :D

Now we just have to get Xanth to admit to some mischief while he was a juvenile :P
Fresco

Next

Return to Spirituality