Is Tom Campbell a Happy Person?

If you have any media links you wish to share with everyone, please post them here.

Postby Xanth » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 pm

Xanth
Site Admin

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Is Tom Campbell a Happy Person?

Postby Taoistguy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks. I liked that.
Seems to be 'contented'.
Taoistguy

Postby Jettins » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 pm

It was a nice listening to it.
Jettins

Postby Xanth » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:43 pm

He's a great guy, and I believe to be very genuine in his approach to life.

There are a couple things I've learned about being a better person on a spiritual path... in terms of being happy and not getting mad... you're not ALWAYS going to be happy, and you're not always going to never get mad or angry. What will happen is that you'll not hold onto any negative state of consciousness for any extended period of time. I haven't learned to not get angry at all situations... but I have learned to let go of that anger quickly.

If that makes sense... lol
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Sinera » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 pm

There's an aspect missing which I would have expected from the title but it did not get answered. He talks immediately (as always) about fear, also about anger. But what I would ask of him (as a follow-up question to the first one) also is this:

Do you feel sadness?

E.g. in the classical case: if s.o. near (and dear) to him died?

I mean, does he feel sadness for a human being that left this reality, despite his knowledge of it all (we don't die but change consciousness streams etc. blah blah..) - especially when it is too early (child) or by accident or disease or even by violence? Isn't it a normal emotion? Does he have ways around it, just like with every other 'negative' emotion?`Or maybe it isn't negative in a normal sense.

So ... Does he FEEL it? Or is he too enlightened? Not trying to be sarcastic or too critical at all. I'm really asking myself this how and if he feels sth like sadness, or other enlightened teachers (E. Tolle, etc.). Do they still feel these things?
Sinera

Postby Xanth » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:44 pm

I see absolutely no reason why anyone, enlightened or not, wouldn't ever feel sadness. It's a simple range of emotion... it's a part of being human.

In the example you provide... someone close to you dies, it's natural to feel sadness about it. But it's not really sadness in a negative way. If you get that.

Emotion is natural. Positive and negative... holding onto a negative intention on an emotion for long isn't natural.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:10 pm

I dont think that denying any part of us that is human has got much to do with enlightenment but thinks it is more important to allow these feelings to come and go in the same way we accept, greet and then dismiss thoughts when relaxing our minds. Emotions are very important but they are a product and we should be able to maintain a slight distance from them so we can use them and not have them use us. Denial of emotions I just dont get and denial would most likely make the same physiological response in the body as acceptance of giving into anger
Majic

Postby Methiculous » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Sinera wrote:Do you feel sadness?

I was thinking that too. He also seemed aloof, and uncaring and distant from any true pain and suffering.
I don't have a problem with anger, or fear, but my problem is having TOO MUCH EMPATHY.
I find it hard sometimes to enjoy myself, knowing that there are so many beings, Human, and other animals, that at this very moment are in extreme pain and turmoil. Every second of every day. I've seen things on the internet I wish I never had, but they are indelibly imprinted on my mind forever.

I feel guilty to feel joy sometimes.
But I remind myself that whether I was born or not, those monstrosities would have happened anyway, and they are not my fault, and beyond my control.
And there are also countless joys occurring every second of everyday too, and I should remind myself of that and focus more on those.

I got a problem with too much empathy and 'putting myself into others' shoes' instead of wearing my own.
Maybe I should just ignore all that's around me and become self-absorbed and worry only about my own computer not booting like Campbell and my own personal problems. It actually makes sense. Although it seems selfish, it will make you happier, because there is no point in worrying about things beyond your scope and control.
I close my eyes and see what I can see, whatever it may be.
It could be the sea, or I could see a bee.
Don't you see? It doesn't matter to me. Just let it be!
(written by a great poet after a dream... ME!)
Methiculous

Postby Xanth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Michael Scannell wrote:
Sinera wrote:Do you feel sadness?

I was thinking that too. He also seemed aloof, and uncaring and distant from any true pain and suffering.
I don't have a problem with anger, or fear, but my problem is having TOO MUCH EMPATHY.
I find it hard sometimes to enjoy myself, knowing that there are so many beings, Human, and other animals, that at this very moment are in extreme pain and turmoil. Every second of every day. I've seen things on the internet I wish I never had, but they are indelibly imprinted on my mind forever.

I feel guilty to feel joy sometimes.
But I remind myself that whether I was born or not, those monstrosities would have happened anyway, and they are not my fault, and beyond my control.
And there are also countless joys occurring every second of everyday too, and I should remind myself of that and focus more on those.

I got a problem with too much empathy and 'putting myself into others' shoes' instead of wearing my own.
Maybe I should just ignore all that's around me and become self-absorbed and worry only about my own computer not booting like Campbell and my own personal problems. It actually makes sense. Although it seems selfish, it will make you happier, because there is no point in worrying about things beyond your scope and control.

Well, there is some truth in not worrying about that which you have no control over. However, it also doesn't mean that you don't care about others.

Tom Campbell cares.
He wouldn't be doing what he does and teaches what he does if he didn't care about you and your spiritual path. However, the caveat is that he can't make you do anything... you have to do everything yourself. He can show you the path, but he can't make you walk it. You can lead a horse to water... blah blah blah. ;)

What's the point? The point is to simply treat everyone you meet in this world with Love and Respect.

If you want a sure-fire way to de-evolve your consciousness, begin with ignoring everything and everyone around you.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Methiculous » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I heard some of Tom Campbell's talks, and one thing I always ask my self with every prominent speaker:
What are they trying to sell?

Well, he isn't selling anything and although he has a book, he doesn't bring it up, and always says you can find his stuff for free online. I respect that. He is genuine.

But he is also a aloof and distant, which is apparent in one of his opening remarks. He says he is in and out of different worlds and this is only one of them. "living in multiple realities at the same time" (whatever that means). He doesn't seem to care so much about this one. I respect that too, and I think he is a much happier person than me. But sociopaths are happy too, living without remorse. (I'm not saying he is a sociopath, but just bringing it up for comparison). Sociopaths are happy because they have no empathy. Should we all become sociopaths?

(It's always good to have a difference of opinion)
I should write my own Big Theory of Everything.... we all have a theory after all! Our own book of life in our heads that we follow....
Last edited by Methiculous on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Methiculous

Postby Xanth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Michael Scannell wrote:But he is also a aloof and distant, which is apparent in one of his opening remarks. He says he is in and out of different worlds and this is only one of them. He doesn't seem to care so much about this one. I respect that too, and I think he is a much happier person than me.

See, I don't have that perspective about Tom at all. While he does say that he lives in many realities at the same time... he knows the value of living and experiencing in each of them.
He understands the value probably much more than most people do who are only experiencing this singular reality... a lot of the time, at least from what people have told me who are interested in astral projection, they don't even want to be here, which is the entire reason for why they are trying to learn to project... as an escape method on their lives. They don't understand the very point of this reality.

So it's not that he doesn't seem to care so much about this reality... it's that his focus just isn't here all the time. He has a loving wife and a few kids too... I can tell by his actions and the way he talks about them that he loves them beyond all words, and I'm certain that he feels the same way towards his fellow man. Why else would he spend so much time and effort trying to teach people to become better people, to increase the quality of their consciousness. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Methiculous » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:15 pm

I just edited what I wrote when you were typing your response.
Nothing is changed, but I brought up the fact that sociopaths are happy too. (just a side thought to think about)
I'm thinking about what it takes to be 'happy' in general and not just thinking about Tom Campbell. I am not bashing him.

Tom Campbell is a good person. I sometimes ask myself this question: What if I was stuck in an elevator with (so-and-so). I think Tom would be a great elevator companion and I could have a good talk, but I am not going to jump on his bandwagon so readily. I don't hate the man, nor his ideas. I'm just stubborn and have my own.

I have experienced 'other realities' too with my lucid dreaming, and I agree that they are not an escape, but a way to enhance your way of thinking which changes your percptective, no matter where you are, or what frame of mind you're in, or whatever perceived world you are in awake or asleep. You see things differently.

I too have looked at my emotions objectively and know that they had a purpose when we were less intelligent in our evolutionary past and we used 'fight or flight' to deal with problems. The 'lizard-brain' some call it. But now it can be a hindrance in certain situations. We have evolved beyond that, and use our brains to solve problems and not our immediate gut-reaction responses.

Emotions control us and tame us. When we do good, we get a cookie in the form of joy and self-worth, and when we do wrong we get punished and feel shame, guilt, and remorse.
But those are between us and our own selves, and we shouldn't carry the weight of the world's emotions on our shoulders.
Methiculous

Postby astralzombie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:28 am

If you can better explain some things than Tom C., you have a must read on your hands. I'm not being facetious, Tom, himself, encourages everyone to come up with their own big TOE (but I think that's just because he wants to laugh at us dumbtards).

I think he has come closer to the truth than anybody but that is just my opinion. However, I get that same aloof and distant vibe that MS gets from watching his videos.
astralzombie

Postby Szaxx » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:02 am

He obviously has a high degree of emotional self control. The 'as sensitive as a brick' comment would fit. The truth is, the reality of others thoughts and feelings is not a pleasant thing to experience if it's a bad emotional state within them.
The upset, especially the loss of someone close from a female hits home quite hard.

I've been sad myself but it compares to nothing from the girls.
If Tom is aware of the feelings of others around him, I'm not surprised he comes over as 'cold'.
He has switched off this perception.
It can control you if not mastered, say anything to the upset person and it's like carrying dynamite through a furnace. One false move (interpretation).
Hell hath no fury...
Szaxx

Postby Methiculous » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Being disassociated and aloof to all others is the route to all happiness. (Or rather contentedness). I agree 100%.

But do you really want to go down than road? Is that the right path to 'happiness', which will only lead you to contentedness anyway?

I have too much emotion anchoring me down....... I am human after all, and can't change that.

I find it hard to draw up the anchor and let go and set sail in the sea of existence.

(I got poetic there, but I hope it makes sense.)
Methiculous

Postby Majic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 am

Seems like he is describing using your emotions when you need or taking the weight out of them, and not letting them use you or drive your decisions.
Majic

Postby CFTraveler » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 am

I usually object to people coming in and doing what I'm about to do: but I can't help myself.

What is this thread about? Tom describes what every psychologist in the planet says: When there are problems, you deal with them as best you can with the emotional equipment you have. That he is a generally happy person is a good thing- that means he is successful in dealing with life's crap. He clearly indicates that he's not 'all happy all the time'- that he does care about others and goes through stuff as it comes along. What's wrong with that? The way he relates/describes it? He just sounds like an engineer, like every engineer that I've ever worked with. Just because they look at the world a certain way (deconstructionist?) doesn't mean they don't cry or suffer- he simply indicates that life is a bunch of stuff- beauty, happiness, joy, and pain and unpleasantness. In general, that's the usual mix. But that doesn't mean you can't be happy in general.

And the other one is kind of humorous. Why do we care whether Tom is happy? Why are we dissecting this?
:? :D
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Xanth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 am

CFTraveler wrote:I usually object to people coming in and doing what I'm about to do: but I can't help myself.

What is this thread about? Tom describes what every psychologist in the planet says: When there are problems, you deal with them as best you can with the emotional equipment you have. That he is a generally happy person is a good thing- that means he is successful in dealing with life's crap. He clearly indicates that he's not 'all happy all the time'- that he does care about others and goes through stuff as it comes along. What's wrong with that? The way he relates/describes it? He just sounds like an engineer, like every engineer that I've ever worked with. Just because they look at the world a certain way (deconstructionist?) doesn't mean they don't cry or suffer- he simply indicates that life is a bunch of stuff- beauty, happiness, joy, and pain and unpleasantness. In general, that's the usual mix. But that doesn't mean you can't be happy in general.

Could haven't put it any better. :)
As usual, Thumbs up for you!

And the other one is kind of humorous. Why do we care whether Tom is happy? Why are we dissecting this?
:? :D

That's actually the first thing that crossed my mind upon the first response to this thread... LOL
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Majic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Yip same, I have no real interest in his happiness or lack of
Majic

Postby Sinera » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Wow...

A thread subject (mind the exact wording) in which all of a sudden by seemingly unanimous group declaration no one is interested at all and from the start, now even including the OP (so why was it posted in the first place?).

And still it generated 20+ posts already.

:roll: :mrgreen:
Sinera

Next

Return to Media Links