Hello from Canada

Please take a quick minute to introduce yourself and tell us a little about who you are and what brought you here.

Hello from Canada

Postby Phantom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 am

Hi from Cape Breton. I do know some of you from the other forum under bluefire phoenix. I think that it is time to retire that handle. For those who do not I'm very interested in spiritual work. I have been involved in spiritual exploration for longer than I want to admit. Am married. Have a daughter dog, cat husband.... oh yea rabbit. I'm an RN and a big fan of alternative and complimentary medicine. Garden for a hobby and have a total of 4 acres. Grow veggies of various sorts blueberries, strawberries Raspberries and gooseberries. I also like hiking and kayaking. I'm a fairly recent immigrant to Canada and hail originally from Indy hope to be a citizen soon.
Phantom

Hello from Canada

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Hello from Canada

Postby Xanth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 am

Welcome to the forum AND Canada! :)

I've got a couple dogs, cockatiel and fish too! Love them all.
I just started a garden last year. I'm having some trouble getting stuff to grow though... I think I'm not quite attentive enough. LOL

Anyway, welcome aboard! Nice to meet you!
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Phantom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Hmmm, you might wait til it stops snowing... it really helps :D My high bush blueberries were turned into low bush after this winter. I think in all we had 3 meters of snow on the ground in March That one in April our front door was totally snowed in getting out of the house was interesting.

You know Richters is up your neck of the woods and they are a great resource. I"m growing a couple exotics this year Nicotina rustican, Arabian Jasmine, and Patchouli. I use both rabbit doo compost, sheep compost and a low nitrogen pellet slow release fertilizer. Beer traps for slugs, diatomatious earth is a waste here since it's so wet it doesn't work well. Easiest things to grow Lettuce use the green black seed simpson. It's indestructible grows til it snows. It bolts a bit in july but keep cutting it back and it comes back later when it cools. Swiss chard use the plain variety. Stuff overwintered this year. Again indestructible. Kale seems good so far for me. Onions, Tomatoes, broccoili, cabbage, spinach I find harder I can do them but it's a pain. Potatoes I cant seem to get rid of them. I like to rotate and they come back to haunt me I finally pulled them and gave them a row even though I planned on not having them this year. Peas are easy snow peas die off in summer and come back. Brussel sprouts look promising here this year. Strawberries, the trick is to use a very low nitrogen fertilizer. squash is good but needs lots of space
Phantom

Postby Xanth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Wow! I'm gonna have to take that advice for next year! Thanks!! :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself