False Memories... what's up with them!?

Any questions you have regarding any of the following experiences: Astral Projections, Out of Body Experiences, Real Time Zone Projections, Phasing, Projection, Lucid Dreaming, Sleep Paralysis, etc... ask them here.

Postby Methiculous » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Do you ever get these in your dreams?
I get it a lot lately, or maybe I am just more aware of it and I always had them all along.

After waking up with a false sense of self it really makes you think... Who am I?
Are my memories real or fabricated? How do I know?

I'm not the first to think of this. It is the premise for Total Recall. (not the new one, but you gotta love Arnold on Mars with his eyes bulging out!)

This can be light-hearted, or it can get very deep.....
But anyway, false memories are very common for people with good dream recall aren't they? I hope it's not just me!
What are they? and why? Any thoughts?
I close my eyes and see what I can see, whatever it may be.
It could be the sea, or I could see a bee.
Don't you see? It doesn't matter to me. Just let it be!
(written by a great poet after a dream... ME!)
Methiculous

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: False Memories... what's up with them!?

Postby astralzombie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 am

I'm not sure if this is the same thing that you are referring to but I will often have a dream in which I am at my childhood home. In reality, I have never seen this home in my life but I accept it as fact even though I am acknowledging that I have never seen it before. These weird things can just be there to help me gain my awareness or the house could have been mine in a past life.

I' don't know but either way, it is always weird.
astralzombie

Postby Szaxx » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 am

Unsure of the meaning of false memories.
If its the ones you have while dreaming that seem real while in the dream, a previous history of sorts. When you wake you know they don't apply to the physical, then yes, lots of them for places you return to.
I've labelled them as alternate personalities. You'd not do some of the things in the physical and others you simply can't do.
Nice call, very interesting how we take things like this for granted.
Szaxx

Postby CFTraveler » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am

I'm not sure that I believe in false memories. Yes, I believe they can be created by suggestion, but someone would have to create them. If you mean when you are in the middle of a dream and then suddenly remember something that 'happened previously' in the dream scene while in the dream, I don't think those are false. I just think that you had a previous dream, stored it deep in the subconscious, and had to go back to the same 'scene' or 'brain frequency' to retrieve it. So in a way, it's not 'false', since it happened, in a previous dream, if not in physical reality.
Obviously this reflects a belief system that I have come to adopt, but there it is.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Xanth » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of with CFT.
I don't think you can have false memories in the way you're suggesting.

Dreaming of an event, is still you EXPERIENCING that event. So if you're consciously aware of it while it's occurring, then you'll remember it as a memory.
And the more importance you can place on those experiences, the more you'll remember them.
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby astralzombie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Well, in regards to his reference of "Total Recall" and it's plot points, I would call those false memories or perhaps manufactured memories. But it's really just semantics.

I suppose any memory you have is a real memory even if you are unsure of it's origins.
astralzombie

Postby Methiculous » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Actually by false memory, I meant something much simpler.
For example, I did a reality check in a dream once and looked at my hands. My right pinky was bent out of shape. I thought nothing of it because I broke it yesterday, of course! (Never broke any finger ever in my life!)

I come up with false memories to justify and provide reasons for anomalies in dreams.
And like Astral Zombie, some places and objects seem familiar even though it's the first time seeing it. It feels like you remember it.

So I don't mean reliving a vivid memory that you thought was real and turned out it wasn't.
Just small things that make the dream seem more normal and more familiar.
Methiculous

Postby Methiculous » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:37 pm

astralzombie wrote:I suppose any memory you have is a real memory even if you are unsure of it's origins.

That's interesting. You're right. A memory is a memory, just like emotions are emotions. They can never be 'un-real' to you, but perhaps unclear, and misguided at times.
Methiculous

Postby ChopstickFox » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 am

I've woken up after feeling I've lived a lifetime. A completely different person with independent goals, loves, ambitions. And it is kind of sad upon waking...

But as for your mind coming up with incredible reasons for things and they make perfect sense... Yeah, totally, they're pretty funny sometimes. xD Sometimes for me, very specific numbers come out of no where. Like, a few weeks ago, I was told my exact heart rate. (It was an impossible number, but then again I wasn't exactly human and it was the high rate that concerned the doctors.) But even ones when I am myself, the "pulled out of the ass" reasons are quite entertaining!
ChopstickFox

Return to Projection Discussions & Questions