Degrees of Separation: a cosmology

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Spirituality or Spiritual Growth, please post them here.

Postby wstein » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:47 pm

My current frame for modeling all reality is below. It is based primarily on my experiences from extensive OBE travel over many years. These travels were mostly not random, they were strongly directed to discover the nature of reality and to answer questions I did not know the answers to.

The ‘ultimate’ is an undifferentiated all (ALL), without feature, properties, or substance in any way. It’s just a pure sameness. Not even ‘unity’, ‘oneness’, or ‘infinity’ apply. When one gets ‘close’ to perceiving this, it just overwhelms the senses with its intensity and featurelessness. For the human visual system, an overwhelm of colored light is seen as all colors of light otherwise known as ‘white’. The ALL is not white, it’s just the brain that labels it that way due to the sensory experience. There is no way to identify any aspect of the ALL (as there are none).

The ‘BIG’ mystery is that anything at all could possibly ‘be’ given that there are no features to the ALL. To have a feature, there must be properties of some kind. Even without knowing how it’s possible, I see these as ‘separations’ of the ALL. Separations allow the ALL to seem not absolutely uniform. There is an obvious paradox as either there is featurelessness or there are features. This is still unresolved and a source of constant visceral spiritual pain for me. On a practical level I accept that there are separations. The rest of what follows assumes that the ALL can remain uniform and yet still have these separations/properties/aspects.

A separation is an aspect of or ‘property’ that might apply to reality. Reality with separations is still continuous but not necessarily uniform. As such, not all properties are ‘everywhere’ and where they are present, are not necessarily uniform in ‘magnitude’. One can think of a separation/property as a single concept or as a totally independent aspect. What are commonly referred to as dimensions, planes, realms, etc are areas of reality where the properties present are relatively consistent. Out of practicality, beings mark these areas by their features and give them a label for easy reference. These labels and divisions are arbitrary and don’t represent anything actual.

The fundamental separation is that there can be separations of the ALL. A few more ‘primary’ separations/properties are required before we can start talking about anything interesting. Parts of reality can without them can still be ‘visited’, but there is not much to perceive. These primary separations include (not a full list): gradients (non-uniformity), combinations (of properties), interactivity, change, possibility, concepts, information/reference. ‘Things’ as complex as consciousness, location, being, are not fundamental properties of reality. Rather they are a combinations of properties (hundreds or more). A way to try to comprehend this is to ask what is required for such a thing to ‘be’. For instance, ‘location’ requires dimensionality, sequences/continuums, position, ordering, difference, etc.

At the ‘level’ of actuality (as in manifest material universe) millions or more properties are required to make it possible. Much of reality is simply too sparse in present properties to allow anything one might reasonably consider a manifest reality. There are however vast areas with beings, concepts, consciousness, and other properties that are still viable ‘places’ that a being might inhabit. Some have hardly any other features than this short list, others are teaming with vast possibilities but without any actually manifesting. As far as I can tell there are parts of reality with every combination of properties. Many regions do not have properties that interact much and are pretty featureless. Other areas are full of complex richness.
sin nada
wstein

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Degrees of Separation: a cosmology

Postby Jettins » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:28 pm

wstein wrote:These primary separations include (not a full list): gradients (non-uniformity), combinations (of properties), interactivity, change, possibility, concepts, information/reference.

Very interesting words that you're using to describe non-physical observations, it's refreshing. You reminded me about several authors at the same time. I think that if you could describe your non-physical experience as they happen in a type in narrative form, people would be able to absorb and follow much more of what your're saying, which I think it's great. I know you're describing your model here today, which is different, just something you can keep in mind for later.

wstein wrote:The fundamental separation is that there can be separations of the ALL. A few more ‘primary’ separations/properties are required before we can start talking about anything interesting. Parts of reality can without them can still be ‘visited’, but there is not much to perceive. These primary separations include (not a full list): gradients (non-uniformity), combinations (of properties), interactivity, change, possibility, concepts, information/reference. ‘Things’ as complex as consciousness, location, being, are not fundamental properties of reality. Rather they are a combinations of properties (hundreds or more).

I can almost see what you must have experienced, but it would be fascinating if you also described what happened during the actual non-physical experiences that made you think of your theories.
Jettins

Postby wstein » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Jettins wrote:
wstein wrote:These primary separations include (not a full list): gradients (non-uniformity), combinations (of properties), interactivity, change, possibility, concepts, information/reference.

Very interesting words that you're using to describe non-physical observations, it's refreshing. You reminded me about several authors at the same time. I think that if you could describe your non-physical experience as they happen in a type in narrative form, people would be able to absorb and follow much more of what your're saying, which I think it's great. I know you're describing your model here today, which is different, just something you can keep in mind for later.
I’m not sure I know how this could be done in anything less than a Harry Potter sized tome.

Also one gets to the areas with extremely few separations (especially only primary ones), there is little to experience or describe. If you take a view of a region with only the above 7 aspects, pretty much all one gets is a sense that a whole lot of something might be possible. Without any properties to give form, function, substance to any of it there is nothing much to perceive. Not even creating or imagination is available to get start with. Note that in areas this sparse in present aspects, being conscious, perceiving or being aware from ‘inside’ is not possible. They only way to perceive is from ‘outside’.

Jettins wrote:
wstein wrote:The The fundamental separation is that there can be separations of the ALL. A few more ‘primary’ separations/properties are required before we can start talking about anything interesting. Parts of reality can without them can still be ‘visited’, but there is not much to perceive. These primary separations include (not a full list): gradients (non-uniformity), combinations (of properties), interactivity, change, possibility, concepts, information/reference. ‘Things’ as complex as consciousness, location, being, are not fundamental properties of reality. Rather they are a combinations of properties (hundreds or more).

I can almost see what you must have experienced, but it would be fascinating if you also described what happened during the actual non-physical experiences that made you think of your theories.
I started from the incarnate experience and headed towards ‘unity’ not knowing what it might actually be. Unification reduces differences and distinctions (more or less by definition but in actuality too). One can think of this journey as going to places with fewer and fewer aspects in play. Some things one can eliminate don’t really make much difference in terms of the experience of it. Say for instance that all beings had no more toes than their parents or that fingernails had to be all one color. There are some changes that drastically affect the model humans live by and take some time to assimilate. The most obvious biggie is to start eliminating actuality (energy matter, force). What would reality be like. There are still concepts, possibilities, consciousness, awareness, beings but no ‘stuff’. One might grow old and wise except there is no media for that to play out in. Think of an artist with an idea in their head but no art supplies (ever). They could ‘describe’ the concept to others, but they can’t make it or leave for other to experience.

Those that travel to other countries know that the aspects incorporated and left out of other cultures make living there ‘different’. What is life without respect like? What about no open space, what about no freedom, what about little food? Other Earthly cultures are still made from 99.99+% of the same aspects as yours. Try to see the world as it is now but with no gender. As the aspects get removed one by one, it’s hard to describe the ‘experience’ of it. What if not 0.01% is missing but a whole 1% simply no longer ‘is’.

I can tell you I went to a ‘place’ that had landscapes with conscious beings and ‘location’ but no ‘movement’. You can try to imagine it but it’s very hard not to take movement for granted. That is until you find that movement is not possible at all for anybody or anything. I had to entirely reconsider how to go ‘over there’ to get a better view to the beings that were not very close to my initial arrival point. My solution was to leave the plane entirely and jump back in at another location. I do wonder what the locals thought of me not having a single location.
sin nada
wstein

Postby Jettins » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 pm

wstein wrote:I’m not sure I know how this could be done in anything less than a Harry Potter sized tome.

Sounds like you have work to do :D

wstein wrote:Think of an artist with an idea in their head but no art supplies (ever). They could ‘describe’ the concept to others, but they can’t make it or leave for other to experience.

I can see how much that would suck. Make up your own words to try to describe intangibles.

estein wrote:I can tell you I went to a ‘place’ that had landscapes with conscious beings and ‘location’ but no ‘movement’. You can try to imagine it but it’s very hard not to take movement for granted. That is until you find that movement is not possible at all for anybody or anything.

You've experienced that too. I think you're going to find a few of my unwritten experiences very interesting for sure. I'll keep the time warps talk in mind for the near future. It seems to happen when you look inside a time warp and your perspective is slightly offset or out of sync, even when it feels as if you're completely emerged in it. The generation of time stops at that point. There are beings that appear to exist in these static or frozen states to those looking in from a different dimension of being or perspective. Why? because time is relative, it appears that in the subtle words it may be as well. Another thing is that these realities might be happening so incredibly slowly to the perspective (or time line) of the human psyche that it might appear as frozen. How fast or slow is the observation of these dimensions in relation to us is something that needs to be taken into account. I've met beings that are frozen in their own dimension (or state of being) when I look at them from an adjacent or nearby dimension close enough to touch. I will likely be invisible to them. They might be moving so slowly it appears as if they aren't moving. Since beings exist within dimensions, and dimensions are actually states of being, the dimensions or beings can appear to be the size of an entire area, scene or whatever. Interesting experience, keep sharing :)
Jettins

Postby CFTraveler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:56 pm

As an aside, I'm enjoying the convo between wstein and Jettins very much. My favorite theorists interacting.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby wstein » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Jettins wrote:
wstein wrote:I can tell you I went to a ‘place’ that had landscapes with conscious beings and ‘location’ but no ‘movement’. You can try to imagine it but it’s very hard not to take movement for granted. That is until you find that movement is not possible at all for anybody or anything.

<removed> Another thing is that these realities might be happening so incredibly slowly to the perspective (or time line) of the human psyche that it might appear as frozen. How fast or slow is the observation of these dimensions in relation to us is something that needs to be taken into account. I've met beings that are frozen in their own dimension (or state of being) when I look at them from an adjacent or nearby dimension close enough to touch. I will likely be invisible to them. They might be moving so slowly it appears as if they aren't moving. Since beings exist within dimensions, and dimensions are actually states of being, the dimensions or beings can appear to be the size of an entire area, scene or whatever. Interesting experience, keep sharing :)
I am aware of the vast differences in the ‘pace’ of change in various ‘places’.

<not a response to your experience> I just want to be very clear that in my experience above, movement was not a possibility in any way , at any speed, ever, of anyone or anything. The very concept of movement was not present in reference, actuality, or possibility. That part of reality was lacking that aspect entirely. The beings I 'saw' there quite visibly and actively changed during the few minutes I observed them.

I was trying to illustrate the experience of visiting different parts of reality where there was more ‘unity’ and various ‘separations’ were not present.
sin nada
wstein

Postby Jettins » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:39 pm

westein wrote:The beings I 'saw' there quite visibly and actively changed during the few minutes I observed them.

It sounds to me like static 4D photographs that sometimes change as you glanced at them. I am not saying that's what it was, I am only finding a way to describe it.

weisten wrote:The very concept of movement was not present in reference, actuality, or possibility.

I've read of such places before. The sense of reality can be very different in certain astral states or dimensions. There are supposedly places or states where time flows backwards in time, and others where the human psyche does not operate as we know it as you’re probably well aware of.

A general statement not related to this post:

I will not purposely try to put down anyone’s ideas or experiences, if you feel that way, that is your issue, let me just state this for the record. I'm not aware of the different sensitively levels of the readers when I share my experiences, theories and opinions. Even if I were to try, I still can’t know and might fail. Having much to stay, I'm likely to step in someone's toes from time to time. I'm also not aware of how much general information the readers have been expose to, so to explain my views clearly, I must assume that it is limited.

I think that our original ideas are best served in reference to our personal experiences no matter how simple they may be. So instead of trying to fit an experience into an existing “theory” or whatever, maybe it would best if the experience itself shapes our knowledge. One thing leads to another. I think this is how we will actually get somewhere with our intentions. Ultimately it is about our well-being and our place in it all and not about theories, facts and ideas per se, so let's not lose the perspective. We are likely to make more mistakes in the beginning but in the long run we will be more effective. Being of different cultures, life experiences, etc… it’s only natural that not everything we think or do will be the same, but it’s interesting to try to understand why there are commonalities. My views are just my views.

It would be great if more people felt inclined to share more astral projection or lucid dream experiences in the forum.
Last edited by Jettins on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jettins

Postby CFTraveler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Jettins wrote:It would be great if more people felt inclined to share more astral projection or lucid dream experiences in the forum.

For the record, some time ago I lost the desire to share a lot of my experiences. I record them in my journal for record-keeping purposes except for when they're too personal, but I find that my worldview has become too different than pretty much everyone else's to even muster the energy to try to explain why I feel like I do about metaphysical things.
Although I do sometimes jump in to clarify myself or correct what doesn't seem right to me, it usually is in the context of sweeping statements about science or religion or politics and how they relate to reality, and not necessarily in a metaphysical way.
I still enjoy reading what other people write about the world, especially when they're as adult as y'all are, which is why I mentioned it. My intellectual bean still gets tickled, but I feel no 'spark' or need to participate in any positive way, except to criticize.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby astralzombie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 pm

I can tell you I went to a ‘place’ that had landscapes with conscious beings and ‘location’ but no ‘movement’. You can try to imagine it but it’s very hard not to take movement for granted. That is until you find that movement is not possible at all for anybody or anything. I had to entirely reconsider how to go ‘over there’ to get a better view to the beings that were not very close to my initial arrival point. My solution was to leave the plane entirely and jump back in at another location. I do wonder what the locals thought of me not having a single location.
sin nada

Could the impossibility of movement to exist in this place be because you were truly experiencing what is to exist outside of time/space but lack the proper perception as a human?

I understand that this was a non physical experience but at the end of the day, you still have to process it through the filter that we call a brain and without the proper context, no movement was the only way your brain could process it.

You have spent a lot of effort trying to make it clear that movement was an impossibility in this place yet you left and returned only to observe that the being had indeed moved in subtle ways. This strongly suggests to me that you are currently lacking the proper context that is needed to see things move in this place.

I have never had a similar experience with movement as you explained but I have been to many places that seemed completely different yet were entirely the same when I returned. The only thing that really changed was my perception and interpretation of what I was seeing due to the experiences and knowledge gained in between the visits.

If you are firm on using "impossible" here, is there anything else that you can say that may help us see why. I'm not talking about an anecdote but a specific reason in regards to this specific place.

This is just a theory and nothing more. :)

edit: I just wanted to add that I am enjoying this conversation very much as well.

I must admit that CFT's comment stung slightly when she said you two were her favorite theorists :oops: . Then I remembered that I am a Knowist. :lol:
Last edited by astralzombie on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astralzombie

Postby Jettins » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 pm

astralzombie wrote:I understand that this was a non physical experience but at the end of the day, you still have to process it through the filter that we call a brain and without the proper context, no movement was the only way your brain could process it.

This is what I was trying to say, more or less. You said it in just once sentence.

I think CTF meant "crazy theoriest" :lol:

In an insane world being called crazy is a blessing in my view.

CTFtraveler wrote:Although I do sometimes jump in to clarify myself or correct what doesn't seem right to me, it usually is in the context of sweeping statements about science or religion or politics and how they relate to reality, and not necessarily in a metaphysical way.

I've noticed. I would really enjoy reading about what some of your experiences mean to you.
Jettins

Postby CFTraveler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:57 pm

I must admit that CFT's comment stung slightly when she said you two were her favorite theorists . Then I remembered that I am a Knowist.
I immensely enjoy your work too, astral zombie, I was just mentioning this in the context of the conversation. I'm just glad y'all got together.

As to what my experiences mean to me, I'd probably share but not publicly- the last few years have changed how I interact with the known universe, even though I forever remain baffled by the life I've lived. It's hard to explain without spilling my guts here.
CFTraveler

Postby wstein » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:23 pm

astralzombie wrote: Could the impossibility of movement to exist in this place be because you were truly experiencing what is to exist outside of time/space but lack the proper perception as a human?
First a disclaimer, I am not human, (the concept still applies). I have been outside space and or time on many occasions (hundreds). So while it’s still possible, I have reason to say it was not a limitation of my perception.

astralzombie wrote: I understand that this was a non physical experience but at the end of the day, you still have to process it through the filter that we call a brain and without the proper context, no movement was the only way your brain could process it.
Not sure how you are using the term ‘non-physical’ here??

astralzombie wrote: You have spent a lot of effort trying to make it clear that movement was an impossibility in this place yet you left and returned only to observe that the being had indeed moved in subtle ways. This strongly suggests to me that you are currently lacking the proper context that is needed to see things move in this place.
The being (nor anything else) moved at all. What had changed location was me. I was not able to move within that realm, relocation was accomplished by exiting and reentering at another location.

astralzombie wrote: If you are firm on using "impossible" here, is there anything else that you can say that may help us see why. I'm not talking about an anecdote but a specific reason in regards to this specific place.
First, I have been to many kinds of ‘places’ (hundreds) with many modes of movement (dozens). I tried all the modes of movement I could think of at the time, none worked. Second I looked around across the landscape which was fairly similar to an Earth landscape and nothing was moving. Note that the angle and field of view was fixed as I could not move. I noted that the luminous beings there (some kind of energy) were changing colors. This suggested to me that change and some sort of time were going on. To me that makes a ‘static’ image unlikely (definitely just a judgement call). Note: the color changes were being passed from one to being to another (overlapping ones only). I studied this for ~3 minutes in an attempt to determine if they could perceive me, was not clear from the distance I was at, that’s why I decided to relocate. Closer inspection did not clarify this point.
sin nada
wstein

Postby wstein » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Jettins wrote: It would be great if more people felt inclined to share more astral projection or lucid dream experiences in the forum.
Also great is having a shared experience. Joint OBE is possible (though difficult). I'm told that joint lucid dreaming is possible too...
sin nada
wstein

Postby astralzombie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 pm

First a disclaimer, I am not human, (the concept still applies).

You are currently inhabiting a human body though, are you not? If so, this means that you are still operating under the constraints and parameters of what it means to physically be human even if you can't identify with being a human in any other way.
astralzombie

Postby wstein » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 am

astralzombie wrote:

You are currently inhabiting a human body though, are you not? If so, this means that you are still operating under the constraints and parameters of what it means to physically be human even if you can't identify with being a human in any other way.
Yes, it's a human body. If I am doing things in a human manner then yes. For the most part I have to do Earthly activity using the body.

However, other abilities augment what is possible. Certainly other spiritually advanced beings inhabiting human bodies (or evolved from being human) demonstrate 'super' human ability even in the physical. While operating OBE or in the non-physical the human body 'base' presents far fewer limitations.

I am still a being and all beings have limitations.
sin nada
wstein

Postby astralzombie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:34 pm

CFTraveler wrote:
I must admit that CFT's comment stung slightly when she said you two were her favorite theorists . Then I remembered that I am a Knowist.
I immensely enjoy your work too, astral zombie, I was just mentioning this in the context of the conversation. I'm just glad y'all got together.

As to what my experiences mean to me, I'd probably share but not publicly- the last few years have changed how I interact with the known universe, even though I forever remain baffled by the life I've lived. It's hard to explain without spilling my guts here.

Now I'm really embarrassed. I'm always looking for an opening to get my cheesy jokes in, but thanks for the reply. :oops: :D
astralzombie

Postby astralzombie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:46 pm

wstein wrote:
astralzombie wrote:

Yes, it's a human body. If I am doing things in a human manner then yes. For the most part I have to do Earthly activity using the body.

However, other abilities augment what is possible. Certainly other spiritually advanced beings inhabiting human bodies (or evolved from being human) demonstrate 'super' human ability even in the physical. While operating OBE or in the non-physical the human body 'base' presents far fewer limitations.

I am still a being and all beings have limitations.

Yes, we do all have our limitations and many of them are self imposed. I would imagine that you have some really interesting experiences in the astral since you do not identify with being human. That is a major statement by the way. It's not like your a Caucasian saying that you identify with being black or Asian more than your own "race" but I'm not a psychologist and I'm sure you're aware of what they have to say about this anyways.

The only thing that nags me is that I would think that after 50 plus years, you would already be aware as to why you became a human in this manner. Although, you did say that you might have been on the run, in a manner of speaking, so that would imply a selfish motivation and not some mission to help the universe.

Understand that I'm not nitpicking here but you made an incredible claim so my interest is peaked. :)
astralzombie

Postby CFTraveler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Here's my cheesy half-joke: I recently found out (via DNA testing) that I have +1.9% Neanderthal genetics. According to the lab, most europeans have less than 1.4%. So I'm a little less human than all of you. Or most of you. (And yes, I do know Neanderthals are classified as human too). But it explains sooo much.
CFTraveler

Postby wstein » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 pm

CFTraveler wrote:Here's my cheesy half-joke: I recently found out (via DNA testing) that I have +1.9% Neanderthal genetics. According to the lab, most europeans have less than 1.4%. So I'm a little less human than all of you. Or most of you. (And yes, I do know Neanderthals are classified as human too). But it explains sooo much.
What does that get you besides a stocky build and a hairy chest?
sin nada
wstein

Postby wstein » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 pm

astralzombie wrote: The only thing that nags me is that I would think that after 50 plus years, you would already be aware as to why you became a human in this manner. Although, you did say that you might have been on the run, in a manner of speaking, so that would imply a selfish motivation and not some mission to help the universe.
Yeah the exact reason still alludes me unfortunately. Perhaps you can assist? It would seem to be self motivated or out of self interest though not necessarily 'selfish'. I don't take much interest in local affairs (this universe only) other than relates directly to my body's well being.

---------
Just because a being is 'here' (anywhere) without a local mission does not mean they are selfish. Believe it or not, there are many reasons to have interests 'elsewhere', some of them even more 'important' than helping this particular universe. I know the locals (humans included) won't agree, but there is nothing particularly special or more important about this universe. As such, the interests of multiple universes often outweigh any interests limited to this universe. It surprises me, though it shouldn't, that the old souls who have incarnated in so many places don't take more inclusive view which includes many universes.

To put this in a more tangible perspective an analogy. The workers who put in new freeway systems are almost never locals. They are there for the 'greater good' often at the expense of those who live/lived by the new freeway. It not a case of them being selfish as I see it.
sin nada
wstein

Next

Return to Spirituality