Brainwave monitor ?

Discuss and link to the many toys, tools and gadgets out there that you might want to try and want an opinion on from everyone, or something you already use and want to tell everyone about it!

Brainwave monitor ?

Postby ob1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi,

i was wondering if anyone knew if they sell a compact brainwave monitor that monitors things like theta ,alpha and other waves ? Or you need an eeg for tha ?

Thanks!
ob1

Brainwave monitor ?

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Brainwave monitor ?

Postby Xanth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:49 pm

These kinds of things do exist... I'm not sure how affordable they are though.
Do some research online (Google?) and see. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby ob1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 pm

yeah i only found this http://emotiv.com/epoc.php but its like 400$ and its bluethooth while the other one is 300$

i did find a way to build one for far cheaper but i have 0 knowledge in building electronic stuff.

Guess ill forget about it.
ob1

Postby Xanth » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 am

If the self-build is cheap enough... *now* is always a good time to learn electronics. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby ob1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Xanth wrote:If the self-build is cheap enough... *now* is always a good time to learn electronics. :)

No id rather just buy the emotiv or insight ,as they are really incredible little EEGs,i guess ill have to save up for a couple months.i already have so many things to learn and so little time.
ob1

Postby Phantom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Interpreting the EEG takes some training. It's not a black and white science and much more difficult than an Electrocardiogram. The brain is eletronically complex. You also have to make sure there are no electric currents in the room which can interfere with the machine. Cellphones and wifi can interfere. In the hospital they use shielded rooms for doing the studies. I looked on the minuature model. It might work but they don't appear to be using the jell that you put on to ensure tight fit to the skull. Each lead needs to be tight and sealed to the head. Any displacement will throw off the results.
I don't think you would need a diagnostic level set up and I doubt you can afford one ( most hospitals here only have one or one is shared between hospitals depending on the demand) Monroe institute has one but it's a full diagnositic level machine. This is a portable machine I saw looks like it might be a decent machine http://www.advancedbrainmonitoring.com/ ... aQodaSgAkA the prices will run stating at $4000 USD.
Phantom

Postby Xanth » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:38 pm

$4000!? Well that counts me out for certain. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby ob1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Phantom wrote:Interpreting the EEG takes some training. It's not a black and white science and much more difficult than an Electrocardiogram. The brain is eletronically complex. You also have to make sure there are no electric currents in the room which can interfere with the machine. Cellphones and wifi can interfere. In the hospital they use shielded rooms for doing the studies. I looked on the minuature model. It might work but they don't appear to be using the jell that you put on to ensure tight fit to the skull. Each lead needs to be tight and sealed to the head. Any displacement will throw off the results.
I don't think you would need a diagnostic level set up and I doubt you can afford one ( most hospitals here only have one or one is shared between hospitals depending on the demand) Monroe institute has one but it's a full diagnositic level machine. This is a portable machine I saw looks like it might be a decent machine http://www.advancedbrainmonitoring.com/ ... aQodaSgAkA the prices will run stating at $4000 USD.

ah yes i know that.You say that no electric current should interfere with the machine but the machine works on Bluetooth which is a type of radiowave.Actually im not looking to diagnose anything so that machine would be perfect for me.
ob1

Postby Szaxx » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:08 am

I considered building a unit long ago and couldn't really see the point. The radio interference is all but cancelled out by a balanced/differential input circuit and low pass filters.
If you set an alarm when in theta for example the unit would return you away from theta so pointless in that respect.
Why do you want to be plugged in?
Szaxx

Postby ob1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Szaxx wrote:I considered building a unit long ago and couldn't really see the point. The radio interference is all but cancelled out by a balanced/differential input circuit and low pass filters.
If you set an alarm when in theta for example the unit would return you away from theta so pointless in that respect.
Why do you want to be plugged in?

For me its mainly entertainment and because i want to do experiments with it and learn more about the brain.
ob1

Postby Xanth » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:33 pm

I wanted to ask... does anyone here have any real experience or know studies done regarding brainwaves?
I was thinking... are brainwaves proven to be coming FROM the chunk of flesh in our heads we call the brain?

Or even if they are coming "from" the brain... I'm wondering if they're a physical manifestation of consciousness within this reality, OR if they're some kind of manifestation of a "datastream" of this reality to us, ala Tom Campbell's MBT.
Could we "decypher" someone's brainwaves to see EXACTLY what they're experiencing? In that... what someone experiences is output via these brainwaves...
Xanth
Site Admin

Return to Toys, Tools & Gadgets