Beliefs traps that hinder spiritual growth

If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything related to Spirituality or Spiritual Growth, please post them here.

Postby astralzombie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 am

After reading one of Ryan's articles on his website, it made me wonder what are some of the the current belief traps that you all feel are waiting to snare us. We like to think that we are immune to this problem since we are aware of the concept and have overcome so many to get to reach the stages that each of us are currently at.
astralzombie

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Beliefs traps that hinder spiritual growth

Postby Majic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 am

well you did ask...

I really struggle with the existence of past lives and so dont pay much attention to looking into the subject and put try to work out if it was correct or not so I am not limited by what I might of might not have been. In reality I would be more interested in a snapshot of a future life and am sure the dreamspace could produce something if I asked.

This is not just dismissive statement and like all things to me I would not be bothered if I was proved wrong. I dont doubt that the energy of a life exists in some way after death but feel that we are more likely to pick up energies and then depending on our depth of dreaming work with this in some way. Once we have done this once for a scene or role play in a dream then it is cemented in our SC and will most likely surface again and if we start chasing this thread it could become limiting as we go round in circles with the concept.

I think for now life is a one off gift and the explore the dreamspace without seeking anything from the past
Majic

Postby astralzombie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 am

Past lives and reincarnation is one of the few concepts that I do believe in but have only seen the proof from others and not in my own experiences. I have never encountered proof of my own past lives.

One reason this now fits into my view is because as a former Christian, I use to worry about how tough life was and only having one chance, one shot to get this right. Life's complexities and our lack of control over so much leads me to believe that, no loving "god" would leave so many important lessons to go unlearned because of circumstances beyond our control or punish us over some technicality.

But if I'm wrong, that's one hell of a belief trap. Nice job pointing that out. :)
astralzombie

Postby Majic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:35 am

Ta, I find it interesting as I don't think right or wrong matters so much as your intent to do something but this must be balanced out with the ability to change. I don't believe in a past life but have had enough experience to question the concept a little and so while not being in the basket of believing as I find belief is not based in fact I can accept that I might be wrong. This allows me to dismiss meaning to a lot of experience but contrary to this allows me to I feel get a great range of experience because I question and then bash my way through barriers (most of them anyway as there are still a few that stop me) and dont spend a lot of time micro managing dream experiences.

I think what bugs me is at what point did we or someone get the first past life ? and this is why I am more inclined to think we can easily experiences other peoples past life by receiving energy and then our SC and beliefs can work the magic of the dreamspace and lead us to think it was our past life.

Not sure about all his so bash me down if needed
Majic

Postby Jettins » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 am

First let me just say this is only my perspective.

I don't think it's the beliefs that trap or hindering spiritual growth, it's more complex than this.

All you have to ask is: Who are you?

The answer simplified is: The compilation of the memories of what you have Experienced, regardless.

Experiences = beliefs, yeah, even the experiences yielding the opposite or "no belief"

Our subconscious mind includes known and unknown beliefs and prejudices even before we open our mouth, so we can't rationalize ourselves out of our subconscious, one is just circling in it. New experience can add to this so that we have a larger pool of ideas to choice form.

To be true of "no belief" one would have to have no memory. In other words one would have to be non-existent or a machine. I shouldn't get deeper into the philosophy of it here.

I see the idea of "belief" being used in this forum to imply that somehow one would be more evolved if one un-believes the ideas of religion for example.

But then I remember what else you could be talked about? One would need the experience that proves otherwise right? "Not believing" in something one does not know won't take you higher spiritually simply because you do not know about it or haven't experienced it, it is the discovering of it that does, and it goes and goes... Have you all seen the folk in the astral that are trapped within their own focused awareness consensus reality? Even the idea of non-belief generating knew belief without them knowing about it?

You all want to be free from beliefs that hold you back? Well this is impossible. It's the troubleshooting of those believes that can potential take you up and up, and not the lack there off. A new reality then emerges into being that is more suited for your new gained perspective, and then it goes and goes peeling away like an onion... Layers of focused non-belief or belief based reality as it does not really matter. So what are you focusing on? This is your new gained perspective and it could be a good one, for now. One perspective is not necessarily better than the other.

So the question of "belief" hindering growth is a valid point, but this needs to be approached not as a front assault on it, but from a different angle. Notice I didn't use the word "love", as this is only a tool and not the psychological unfoldment or process in itself.

There is something very powerful that is being hinted by the members of this forum and I think it's great. I will post an encounter with a past-life in the experience section of the forum.
Jettins

Postby CFTraveler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 am

I think anything that gets you to believe you've figured it all out and x and y are wrong and this is how it is is the most limiting belief trap there is. I call it 'believing the story' and it can be a story someone else told you or a story you've told yourself. Whatever that is.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby Jettins » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:28 am

I don't think people are suppose to figure it all out.

Contradictory believes are also valid and there is a place for everyone, at the same time people should strive to understand.

One shouldn't stop learning because of the assumption that "one cannot know it all", this is not the point. There will be people how know more than others that's for sure.
Jettins

Postby astralzombie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:55 pm

The only belief that is truly capable of trapping anyone is the belief that they have it all figured out. Everything else should be flexible to incorporate and learn from new experiences.

Like Jettins said, naturally, it is impossible to be free from all beliefs. Until we exist permanently with god, the source, or whatnot, we will still have limited knowledge no matter how grand the scope. No matter the form we happen to exist, physical or otherwise.

But the term is more complex then the two words that make it up and the ideology behind it is meaningful.

Physical life is messy and sloppy and far too demanding to ever figure everything out.
astralzombie

Postby Jettins » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm

astralzombie wrote:The only belief that is truly capable of trapping anyone is the belief that they have it all figured out. Everything else should be flexible to incorporate and learn from new experiences.

I think this is the case.

From time to time I have a powerful experience that changes the theme of future astral events. My purpose is to liberate myself from those astral realms that can trap me, for this I have to deal with my own issues. In the process I learn by going to interesting situations. Every time I do this and succeed, as if my magic, there is a small reward, another piece of the puzzle. Then something else happens and it keeps going..

There is a story being made.
Jettins

Postby Szaxx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 am

You can't figure it out. There's too much of it by far.
We all know too well the 'know it all's' become lost in their ego.
Unstuck by presumptive accruity.
At present we have a puzzle, it's like a jigsaw, a billion piece one. As I see it we are only putting down the corners.
Is it complete? We can guess but subjectivity rules. Until many pieces are placed correctly the picture remains subjective.
Years of this and I'm still learning, it keeps on getting larger, harder to follow and then a spanner is thrown in.
You have to love it.
One thing I find is respect and love takes you further than force. It's unlike this physical existance the deeper you go.
I can't get enough.
Szaxx

Postby ChopstickFox » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 am

Szaxx wrote:Years of this and I'm still learning, it keeps on getting larger, harder to follow and then a spanner is thrown in.
You have to love it.
One thing I find is respect and love takes you further than force. It's unlike this physical existance the deeper you go.
I can't get enough.

Beautiful! :)

Sometimes I feel that my metaphysical puzzle was more complete the younger I was... I am only now trying to attain the truths that were once clear to me. And of course one of those truths is love. Something so simple and innate is one of humanity's largest struggles as they get older. :)
ChopstickFox

Postby astralzombie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 am

I'd dare say we have to have the same lesson drilled into us from different angles and views at least a dozen times before even simple concepts start to stick. And even then, there's no guarantee that the concept we accept is right.

If reincarnation is true, what's that say about our ability to understand real truth and consciousness? :D
astralzombie

Postby Szaxx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 am

It's 'clear' in the old system, if you lose a century.
There's us poor physical entities in the very dense form.
There's one up, the etheric. This exists as long as our physical does and dies when we do. It's subject to demomic possession and damage causing schizophrenia and many illnesses. It's less dense but can't go far from the attached physical.
The astral body. Far finer and less dense still. The rest we know ( yeah right).
There's a mental plane. A singularity of conciousness.
Above that its oneness with everything.
Above that is beyond our reach generally.
A pantheon or similar, proposed long ago, the place where God's exist...
In all of this, we live, then die. Wait around for a couple of days for the etheric to die away then are transported to the astral.
We live there until our energy body is depleted and can reincarnate or blah blah blah.
It's a cycle until you learn enough to enter the atmic. Forever bliss follows.
Great story from the family of mine. They believe this is how things are and your astral travels depict your learnings.
The more pleasant the locale the higher in the 7 x 7 planes you are. Each has it's conditions to be fulfilled before entry is permitted.

I told them its an outdated system and they didn't like the taste of my words.
Us young ones don't understand the way it works by the way.
I have great respect and didn't laugh. I was called young so that made it ok.
Belief system on overload...
Szaxx

Postby astralzombie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 am

I told them its an outdated system and they didn't like the taste of my words.
Us young ones don't understand the way it works by the way.
I have great respect and didn't laugh. I was called young so that made it ok.
Belief system on overload...

We're never too old for a spanking, I guess. :D
astralzombie

Postby Xanth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 am

In Aikido, we're told to pay really close attention to everything sense is doing. Obviously we do... the point however is to do what we call "stealing the technique" from him.

I believe the same holds true to spiritual practices as well. It's what I do when I listen to guys like Tom and Adya. I listen to them sharing their experiences and see if I have anything that I have experienced to compare it to. If I find something that compares, I can steal it for myself. I've had many of these kinds of experiences so far... It's funny that I never really thought or considered them as such until I hear Tom or Adya speak about them.

As my article I wrote mentioned... This would seem to be my biggest belief trap. LoL
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 am

I wrote this on my blog some time ago about the idea of beliefs, etc:

http://www.mydepartedmind.com/2011/03/b ... thing.html

It really just echos what everybody is saying.
Justin

Postby Xanth » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 am

Justin wrote:I wrote this on my blog some time ago about the idea of beliefs, etc:

http://www.mydepartedmind.com/2011/03/b ... thing.html

It really just echos what everybody is saying.

"At some point it hit me: I can move forward based on the idea that something or some idea might be true so long as I am willing to face and accept that it could be wrong. Aha! So this is how that “open-minded skepticism” thing that Tom Campbell keeps talking about works."

Gold. :)

It's amazing at how many people feel like they need to have a belief in something... and hold onto that belief with dear life or else something bad might happen. lol
Xanth
Site Admin

Return to Spirituality