Affirmations/Positive thinking

If you wish to discuss something that isn't directly related to the subject matter of this forum, please post them here!

Postby Taoistguy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am

I've been using affirmations recently and trying to think more positively. It can be really hard. I am so kind and forgiving and generous to so many people I know and meet, yet when it comes to myself I am hugely critical and hard-nosed. It is especially hard to think positively when having to deal with years of habitually being self critical and mistaking thinking about how reality has been for me and re thinking 'it doesn't have to be like that'.

I guess the more I practice the easier it will be.

Sometimes, the positive thinking merges on a sort of 'wish' and it's very surprising when the 'wish' comes true in almost an instant! Like magical.

I watched a video recently saying we often give good advice to our friends and show them much love yet are cruel to ourselves. It was saying we need to catch ourselves being cruel and negative to ourswelves and give ourselves the same kind treatment we give to others. Makes sense to me. :)
Taoistguy

Sponsor Advertisement

Sponsor

Re: Affirmations/Positive thinking

Postby Xanth » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm

The documentary I watched recently was all about the Law of Attraction... and it focuses almost exclusively on this kind of thinking in order to attain that which you want.

It is REALLY hard to do, but is well worth it in the end. For example... if you have a crappy job and you want a better one... don't sit there all day thinking you have a crappy job, and/or nobody likes you... because THAT is what you're focusing on so THAT is what's going to be attracted to you. Instead, consider the good parts about your job... or the idea of getting a new job where you have fun and everyone likes you. Focus upon WHAT YOU WANT, not what you don't want. :)

That can be really hard and I've been trying to do this myself lately... mostly with good results. I was really tested last week when I got yelled at for simply doing my job (yeah, can you imagine that?! LOL). I won't go into the details, but it was a really asinine situation. I had a few minutes afterwards in which I wanted to just scream... but I was able to shrug it off, start smiling again when I began to focus on the good parts of my job. That made the rest of day that much better.

And yes, we also tend to be the most critical with ourselves... it's just a matter of loosening up our self-image slightly. You don't have to go willy nilly on yourself, but loosen it up slightly. You'll be surprised at how much more fun everything will be. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby Taoistguy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm

It's a matter of willpower. But also getting the balance right and not being too extreme in the positive thinking in the sense of think about it for a moment from the core, then let it go and let nature take its course.
Taoistguy

Postby Taoistguy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:07 pm

This also ties in with understanding of this 'physical' world as just another 'astral' zone; we can bring things into 'existance' just like we can by lucid dreaming. IT's cos this is still all Consciousness and Thought.
Taoistguy

Postby Xanth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Taoistguy wrote:This also ties in with understanding of this 'physical' world as just another 'astral' zone; we can bring things into 'existance' just like we can by lucid dreaming. IT's cos this is still all Consciousness and Thought.

Exactly. :)
Xanth
Site Admin

Postby CFTraveler » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm

I'm very self-centered and often ungenerous (but I try to correct it if I can), but affirmations have always worked for me.
In my view it has to do with how you see yourself in the universe, since it's by nature manifestative. (I know it's not a real word, but I think it's pretty descriptive). Like y'all said.
CFTraveler

Location: Beware of one which tells you to put down a book and then later tells you to read another.

Postby erichsa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Yes Affirmation works, but I only came across the word Gratitude a few weeks ego. Saying Thank You, is a magic and it is working for me. "The Magic" a book by Rhonda Byrne was for me the missing link. It is teaching me the importance of Thank You. Who knows it might also help a lot of our Dreamer friends. :)
erichsa

Return to Off-Topic Discussion